Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Returning to work and BFing (He's 15 mos)

Default Re: Returning to work and BFing (He's 15 mos)

I guess I must have missed this thread! I am a FT working mother of a 16 month old (and 4 yr. old) and my DH stays home with the kids. My situation is a little different because my DD eats a lot of solids and drinks some cow's milk.
    My guess is that you will have a transition period, but that your LO will adjust. One thing to be aware of is the possibility of reverse cycling i.e. waking up at night to BF to make up for missed daytime feedings. This might improve as your LO gets better at eating solids (that's what happened for me).
    If you want to encourage your LO to eat more solids, which I think would be a good idea at this point, just offer them more and let him self-feed. It's messy and at first, it seems that very little makes it into their mouths, but I think this is the best way for kids to learn, experiment, and enjoy eating solid foods.
    Does your LO use a sippy cup at all? I agree that you will probably be more comfortable if you pump at least once during the day, maybe more. Your DH can give that milk to your LO in a sippy if he will take it.
    Every evening when I get home from work, my DD greets me at the door and wants to BF right away! It is actually a great way for us to reconnect, just as I'm sure you will find ways to continue your special relationship with your LO!
    HTH Don't be sad, mama.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

UPDATE: Today was my first day. So far dh tells me ds only had a lil crying spell once he woke up from his after noon nap. He said it went well and my job went well too!

Here's to hoping the rest of the week is as easy!

YAY! Keep us posted.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on