Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning to work and BFing (He's 15 mos)

Red face Returning to work and BFing (He's 15 mos)

I think I probably just need to talk to someone in person but don't know any LLL leaders here in Az.

So my question is regarding returning to work. I am hopefully starting a job in January and I've been breastfeeding my ds and he's now 15 mos old. He hardly eats solids and doesn't really drink cow's milk. He's used to being with me day in and day out and hasn't been away from me for longer than 3 hours at one time.

I guess I'm just feeling anxiety but I dont know what to do. Do I need to wean him? At first my work schedule may be a little longer while I'm in training. He's going to be with his dad all day but he's never been with his dad all day so thats new.

There's so many questions and What ifs but I don't know how to put it all here. Maybe I just need someone to comfort me and tell me its ok to leave him so I can work.

So should I start trying to get him to eat more and drink cow's milk? and how do i do that? Will my milk supply diminish since I won't be able to feed him all day? etc etc.

I see so many questions about new moms returning to work but nothing about mom's that have an established nursing relationship.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by intertribalmomma; December 22nd, 2006 at 12:07 AM.

Default Re: Returning to work and BFing (He's 15 mos)

I don't have any experience with this, but I know it's going to work out! Anxiety often gets the best of us, you expect the worst but hope for the best! I went back to work 1 day/ week (4 whole hours!) when my daughter turned 8 weeks. I thought this was the end of the world, nobody would care for her the way I do, my milk would dry up, she'd forget me . . . the anixieties were endless. But it worked out! I had to get over another hurdle 3 weeks ago, my husband & I went away for 3 days to an out of town wedding weekend. Again, I was living with the questions, but it too worked out. Just be sure to pump, and be optimistic. Good luck!!!!

he's going to be just fine! Hubby will be fine also.
    The 1st about 6 weeks is going to be a big adjustment for the both of you.
    Just let some things go. I bet he will keep on nursing, and will ask as soon as you get home from work. Be prepared to sit down as soon as you get home.
    Scale back to quick and easy meals that can be made with out too much work or preptime.

There's no need to wean, unless you both want to. That might just make the situation worse - he won't have that way to comfort and connect when you are together.

You may choose to pump while you're at work, both to provide your milk for him to drink while you're apart, and for your own comfort.

You may find this book helpful - it's a short book, easy for a mom to read, yet packs a lot of good info into those pages! http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr06p76.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thanks for the advice.

I return to work on Jan 8th. I have been noticing all the times he BFs when I'm home all day. Its pretty much all day (almost every 2 or so hours). How is he going to handle being away from me for 9 - 10 hours (commuting time included)?

am I worrying too much?

He'll probably just eat more. A friend of mine was in a similar situation and said that her son just ate more while she was away and nursed while she was there. It worked out well for her.

ok... i'll just try and chill.

Easier said than done, I know. You're going back full-time? Would it be possible to ease into it? Say, just 3 days/week at first, then 4, then 5. The slower transition might make it easier on the two of you. ((hugs))

I'll be in about the same situation as you in a few months. DD will be 14 months when I go back to work. We've got an established BFing relationship and she is pretty slow to start on solids still (she's 10 months right now). She'll drink a little from a sippy and I know that a lot can change in these upcoming months, but I'm already stressing about it. I'll be going back 3 days/week...not sure yet whether I'll pump at work b/c she won't drink EBM anyway. So I just wanted to say that I understand your anxiety - but I wouldn't rush to wean just b/c of returning to work. My take is that if you go back to work and things go south, then you can cross that bridge when you come to it. But I don't think you should force it...I actually really look forward to being able to come home from a busy day and sit with her and nurse. I hope you can do the same!

Nicole

Yea I'm not going to intentionally wean him. I'm wanting him to self-wean.

I can't work parttime at my job tho. Its a full time position.

Uggghhh Monday is too soon.