Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reactions from husband while you breastfed?

Default Reactions from husband while you breastfed?

i know my husband will be supportive of me breastfeeding since he knows how it important it is. I just started wondering tonight if he will start feeling like it's all I do for a while. I guess should just ask him.

What was your experience?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Reactions from husband while you breastfed?

my DH thinks its really sexy. he looked at DS while he was nursing (and in front of my mother) and said, "be thankful son, you get the jublees more than I do"

He's all for extended BFing and even though it didn't work, he was supportive of co-sleeping.

DH's can sometimes suprise you. just make sure that you are in CONSTANT communication with DH. daily. express concerns you have and ask him how HE feels about BFing. get him involved. let him burp baby while you switch sides. or have him change the dipe or rock baby after you are done nursing. that will help him feel involved.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

My husband seemed a bit envious in the beginning, he would constantly interrupt nursing, to kiss the lo. This was incredibly annoying, because I had no idea what I was doing, and just when she'd latch on and get going, he'd come along and distract us both! He just wanted to have some part of it, so I would pump a little for him to feed her, too! They just want to be involved, don't exclude your husband. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    get him involved
    Totally agree! There's lots of ways for daddy to play an active and special role for LO and also super important for DH to help support you those first couple of weeks of what will most likely be non-stop nursing. Getting you food / water while nursing, doing diaper changes, cooking dinner, doing grocery shopping. The first couple weeks will likely be non stop nursing but they go by SO quickly so savor the time to do some nesting and both of you getting acquainted with your LO. After you establish a nursing relationship and your LO is a little older and become more interactive, that sense of doing nothing but nursing diminishes and you'll get more play time and more things that daddy can do for LO. I think from another thread you have a baby carrier? Let daddy also do babywearing so they can have some special time together.

Definitely best to talk to DH about your concerns NOW, and keep that communication very open during what can be a stressful and sleepless but very special time.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Very helpful. Thanks ladies
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

My dh always burbed dd between sides and when she was finished. He would then snuggle with her and a lot of times they fell asleep inthe chair together. Then I could have some me time. It wasn't very long until dd wasn't needing nursing to fall asleep and dh would put her to bed at night (she hasn't been much of a comfort nurser though, so others probably have very different experiences with this). He also changed a lot of diapers. I didn't change a single diaper for the first week, and very few for the next couple weeks. Now its all I can do to get him to change more than one a day, but he did it when it really mattered .

Anyway...communication is key, and finding something he can share with the lo!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I Like how dr sears tells dads they are to take care of the house so that mom can take care of the baby.

heres a link

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T110100.asp#T051121

I wanted to add that at least for us - being open and clear and explicit about expectations works best. Example - if you expect DH to do an equal share of diapers, soothing, baths, etc but you've never actually talked about this with him ... in my mind it's not fair to get frustrated or angry with him for not doing those things. Sure - you can counter argue that he should "just know" what needs to be done or what help you need, but maybe he doesn't know how or thinks you've got everything under such great control that you don't need any help. In my life (and fortunately before having a baby) I've learned the hard way that doesn't work to tell people that you don't need help and then get angry at them for not helping because somehow they were supposed to have been able to read your mind about what you really meant and need. Kinda convoluted there at the end - but I hope you get what I mean.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My DF was super-supportive and even helped me to position her and get her to suck in the beginning. He never got jealous of her or anything and he never really was sad that he couldn't feed her. He has gotten a little disappointed at times, though, that he can't give her what she wants to comfort her. So I suggest getting LO started on a bottle at 6 weeks and giving them one at least once a week. DD took them in the beginning, but I didn't try to give her another one until she was 12 weeks, and she will NOT have it now.

Smile Re: Reactions from husband while you breastfed?

My DH was supportive of the idea while we were pregnant but then when she was born early and would not suckle at all after her first feeding at birth he became less so. I think it was b/c I was so upset and hurt that she did not nurse that he wanted to spin it as if it was all ok for me. He kept saying hoe I can still pump and we can bottle feed her BM for as long as I am willing to pump. At 3 weeks of age she started nursing and he has been great since then. He is a little jealous and I have him give her 1 at night once a week and he really loves it. However, my LO looks at daddy as a play toy and me as a feeding source so she prefers to eat and cuddle with me and have very active play with her daddy! So Cute!!

LO refuses to take a bottle from me (was a problem when I was sick and on meds and could not nurse) and will only take it from DH or others. Mommy = boob only in her eyes! She is NAK right now!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk