Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I making enough milk??

Default Am I making enough milk??

I wrote in last week about breast softening. my baby is 10 days old and my breasts do not even feel full when it is time for him to feed. However, I do feel let down and I have been able to pump about 2 ounces total one hour after feeding him. I took him back to the hospital to have him weighed yesterday and according to their scales (same scales he was weighed on at discharge) showed only a 1.5 ounce weight gain in 6 days. I don't understand this because my first child had gained almost 3 pounds at her one month check up. I had an over abundance of milk with her. I started taking reglan 10mg three times a day yesterday to see if it will help. What should I do?? I cried all afternoon yesterday. It will devastate me to not be able to nurse my sweet baby. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Am I making enough milk??

Most babies regain their birthweight by 2 weeks of age. Is your baby close to that now?

How often is your baby feeding? How many wet and dirty diapers in 24 hrs?

It's unusual for babies to gain 3 lbs in a month period. Sounds like not only did you have a lot of milk the first time around, but also that your baby was an efficient nurser.

Just because your newest little one isn't gaining weight as quickly, doesn't necessarily mean that your production is low. Many factors can affect how quickly baby gains, including genetics and how often/efficiently your baby nurses.

You might find this info helpful:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; January 21st, 2006 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks so much for your reply. His birthweight was 6#12 ox. Yesterday he was 6# 5.5 oz. Discharge weight was 6# 4oz. My first child was 8#10 oz and a very eager feeder. Yes, he is having at least 6-8 wets and 3-4 poops per day (brigt orange/yellow or greenish yellow). Do you think his weight gain pattern could simply be genetics? I am not a large person. I'm 5'2" and 100 lbs., ten days post c/section. My husband is also small. The baby is feeding every 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours and every time I feel a strong let-down and hear good suck-swallow-breathe cycling. Thanks for your help. There is no La Leche League group in my town. You guys are my only support.

It's not a good idea to compare one baby to another. They are all very individual.
    Just like your first baby weighed in heavier than your second.

I have 2 children who grew differently.

My son was smaller than my daughter, however, he put on more weight each checkup than my daughter did who was a bigger newborn.

Each grew at their own pace.

Wet diapers will gauge how well your baby feeds. Frequent feeds (8-12 or more per day) will give your baby what is needed. Pumping is not a good indicator of supply and the feeling of fullness and letdown are different for many women.

I had a painful letdown with my first child and felt no letdown with my second.

The pp have offered good advice. I might also offer a friendly reminder to relax! My mother was very uptight with her third because of many things that were happening in her life. As a result my sister was almost failure to thrive because the stress made her milk production low. In retrospect she still gets a little mad at herself because she was a LLL Leader and thinks she should've known better-- silly! The point is, if you are stressed, it may affect your let down. Take a bath, have dh give you a back rub, tuck yourself in bed with the baby for a nursing holiday...enjoy it and try not to worry (easier said than done, I know). It sounds as if she's getting plenty of milk from her diapers! Keep us posted.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

yes. I am very stressed. I just lost my dad to cancer and ny 30 year old brother is undergoingchemo for cancer, On top of all that, I am working on my master's degree. I need some normalcy in my life.