Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle Alternatives - Anyone have success

Default Bottle Alternatives - Anyone have success

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right section, but I thought since we are on solids, that maybe someone else that has a LO that takes solids would have some advice or has maybe been through this.

Okay, I need some advice and help. I give my DD EBM during the day while I am working. She is now 7.5 months old and I am convinced she hates the bottle now. It can be such a fight to get her to drink one. She usually drinks 2 ounces and that is all she wants and you have to work with her to drink the rest. Also, she doesn't do well drinking a bottle while she is "fully" awake, which drives me crazy.

So my question is, has anyone had success from weaning their baby from a bottle to a sippy cup, straw, cup or just anything else besides a bottle. I can get her to drink from a cup or sippy cup, but maybe 1 ounce at a time.

She has been sick with a cold and has lost a little weight, which worries me. I even got desperate last night and gave her breast milk from a medicine dropper with her solids.

I need something that she will think it is fun to drink her breastmilk or formula from (I usually have to supplement a little formula, as I don't always pump enough for her).

Also, has anyone that provides EBM or formula had success as to getting your LO to drink more than 3-4 ounces at one time? I would think at 7.5 months, she should be able to drink 6-8 ounces ever 4 hours.

Any advice or success stories would be great!!

Default Re: Bottle Alternatives - Anyone have success

Just a question, but do you breastfeed directly as well as give EBM in bottles while you're at work?

If you do, your lo could just be starting to refuse the bottle and prefer you directly, and she could make up the difference that she's not drinking from a bottle if you nurse her directly....maybe even at night whenever she asks when you're with her.

Just a thought though, as I don't know what your situation is.

Regarding cups, I've not had much luck getting my LO's to drink any significant amount from any sippy cup until they were much older...same for anything with a straw...LO didn't seem to figure out the straw until sometime after 1 year. I've actually had the most luck with a little plastic regular cup as far as LO taking in a greater amount of water...he doesn't care to suck at the sippy cup though...just chew...and he sees us all drinking out of regular cups, so he thinks he should drink from a regular cup too.

You might try different brands of sippy cups though...one we tried that other moms swore by was the nuby sippy cup with the soft spout...my LO didn't like it, but he doesn't use a bottle, so he probably is an exception...he probably wondered what was up with the squishy cup and totally didn't get it. Maybe that might help your baby.

Also, re: the weight loss...how long has she been sick? a week? or several weeks? is she bouncing back, or is she still quite sick? If the cold coincides with the refusal of the bottle, it could be nasal stuffiness...let me know, I'll try to help.

I've been trying to get my LO to drink from a sippy cup but so far he'll only do it if I hold it for him. He won't do it himself. Regular cups might work for you also, my LO has like (of all the sippy cups I've tried) the Nuby cup with a sillicone spout. It comes with different ones so you can try the different shapes and see if your LO preffers one.

Just a word on quantity of ebm -- 6-8 ounces every 4 hours seems like a LOT. My DS never drinks 8 oz in one sitting, and only very rarely when he is more hungry than usual will he drink 6 oz. He's more likely to drink 3-4 oz. He's with a sitter now 3x a week for 4-6 hours. Usually I leave the sitter a 5 oz bottle to offer him before his afternoon nap (as well as yogurt and fruit to feed him earlier). Occassionally he finishes the whole bottle, but usually there are 1-2 oz left that she saves and offers later after his nap if he seems hungry. That usually gets him through the afternoon until I get back around 5pm, possibly with a late afternoon solid snack.

We skipped sippy cups -- he drinks water and sometimes ebm out of a shot glass (with help). Or sometimes out of a little enamel-ware cup with a handle. I wish he could do it on his own, but he still needs help at this point.

Annie

hmm,
    my ds eats 4-6 oz from a bottle and he's only 2 monthes. Guess everyone's LOs are different. Seems like I can express 4 oz from my heavy breast. So maybe that might be a good way to tell. How much can you express total when your breasts are all the way full? 8 oz every 4 hours does sound like a wee bit much tho!

my kids all did well with the regular straw.. just like you would use for a fast food cup, we also had a few cheap sippies that came from wal-mart.
    I take the valves and let them use it that way. The lids stay on but they
    Sometimes will spill. I don't have a dish washer and thoose valves get gross..
    and it just was a lazy thing.
    but it worked.
    Try not to worry about her, if she doesn't want to drink your not going to get her too.

All my kids were very particular as to the type of sippy used. We went through lots of different types before they found one they'd drink out of regularly. Also, with my youngest, he didn't really start drinking any sort of quantities out of the sippy until after he was weaned. He never got the hang of EBM either in a bottle or a sippy.

Lisa

We use a medicine dropper and are trying to get her to drink from a nubby or other cup. If she only wants 2-4 oz. try in two hours instead of 4 and then she'll maybe drink another 2-4 oz.

Well, we are still sick. We are now going on over 3 weeks. She has now started coughing, which worries me. We went to the ped. yesterday and she is back up in her weight, but I feel like we have missed out on this whole month with her gaining weight. She weighs exactly what she did at the beginning of the month when she first got sick.

I always thought BF babies didn't get sick that often and if they did, they got over it quickly.

She still isn't eating all that well. Although I think she likes to eat at night rather than during the day. We have been trying the sippy cup and a straw. I can get around 2 ounces almost down her from a sippy cup, but I have to hold it for her. We are working on the straw.

I work from home, but I can't always be available to BF her if I have meetings or I am really busy. We have a nanny that is here during the day to take care of her and she is having a hard time getting her to take the bottle. DD use to drink at least 4-6 ounces and now we are lucky if she takes 4 ounces.

DD is so distracted that she is not one that I can just lift my shirt up and she wants to eat. I wish she was like that!!