Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Did your baby do this too?

Default Did your baby do this too?

I started my Baby on cereal on Thanksgiving and since then she has moved on to two meals of cereal everyday with veggies/lentils at lunch. Since she has started, the amount of breastmilk she consumes during the day (when she is bottlefed) has gone down by a couple of oz. But she eats two serious meals of cereal - half a cup at lunch and half a cup at dinner, each washed down with about 3 oz of breastmilk.

Now since at other times I can't measure how much she eats I am going to assume that she has cut back on milk by 4-5 oz a day.

If that were the case, I am actually super-thrilled because my baby is skinny and I would do anything to put lbs on her. If she has cut back 4-5oz on milk, but is eating two solid square meals like that, I am hoping that soon we will be seeing her fill out a bit and become taller too .

But now she has 1-2 giant (super smelly) diapers a day like I have never seen before. The 3-4 small diapers a day are gone. Not sure if she is just pooing out everything that she eats.

Anyone have any experiences that can throw light on this? Will I still have a big baby ever? I want her to be an athlete when she grows up so want her to get a headstart (talk about manipulative Mamis ). I want her to grow up to be at least 5ft 10 and not a 5ft 4 midget like me.

Default Re: Did your baby do this too?

OK...You might be disappointed if you look for baby to gain weight if baby is starting to replace breastmilk with solids at this early stage. There isn't a single solid food that can compare in nutritional content to that of breastmilk. That's why its usually best to always either breastfeed directly or give baby EBM before all solids for the first year. After age 1 babies are usually eating a wide-enough variety of solid foods that its ok to eat solids first if they want, but before that it can actually lead to malnutrition. There's more info about solids first here on these forums if you do a search, and also at www.kellymom.com.

Elsewhere on this forum, I also read that some doctors will actually tell a mom with a slow gaining baby to cut back on solids and increase breastmilk intake in order for baby to gain more weight if they aren't gaining enough once they start solids.

Regarding the cereal...its usually suggested by docs because it has added iron and vitamin D, and its fairly benign and has a low allergy risk, NOT because its a really good food nutritionally. It actually isn't a very nutritional food and its really not necessary at all as long as baby gets plenty of direct sunlight or is otherwise supplemented with vitamin D and baby eats other iron rich foods, as its mostly filler...probably the reason you've noticed such huge stinky diapers. Alot of it is probably not being "used" by baby. However, there are alot of great foods...like the veggies and lentils you're already feeding your baby...that will help baby fill out a bit if she needs to.

I also found this link http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html in another thread that lists out caloric content of common baby foods...it lists the jarred ones and their "real" counterparts by 1 oz. portions, so that may help you choose some foods that will help your lo gain a bit if she needs to...that's assuming that she is underweight and needs to gain, but some babies are just all around smaller, and grow at their own rate regardless of how much you feed them.

My sons are a perfect example of that...my oldest was Mr. 75th percentile at every apointment for height...sometimes he'd drop to 50th for weight. However, my 9 mo. old has been a perfect 25th percentile height and weight since day one. Even the ped. says that its not concerning at all...he's just compact and is growing steadily at his own rate. He eats constantly, but he grows at his own rate. I've actually had people tell me he's skinny...which he's not, even the ped. says he's not, he's just proportional for his height. This same person implied that I need to feed him more so he'll get bigger, but I feed him nonstop, even at night, so I know those people are just crazy. Feeding him more won't make him grow taller or get a bigger bone structure...he is what he is, and for now that's "compact" with a very fiery personality. I've heard that alot of kids even out as they get older, so maybe eventually he'll be the same height as his older brother who's now a perfect 50th percentile at almost age 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2 View Post
    My sons are a perfect example of that...my oldest was Mr. 75th percentile at every apointment for height...sometimes he'd drop to 50th for weight. However, my 9 mo. old has been a perfect 25th percentile height and weight since day one. Even the ped. says that its not concerning at all...he's just compact and is growing steadily at his own rate. He eats constantly, but he grows at his own rate. I've actually had people tell me he's skinny...which he's not, even the ped. says he's not, he's just proportional for his height. This same person implied that I need to feed him more so he'll get bigger, but I feed him nonstop, even at night, so I know those people are just crazy. Feeding him more won't make him grow taller or get a bigger bone structure...he is what he is, and for now that's "compact" with a very fiery personality. I've heard that alot of kids even out as they get older, so maybe eventually he'll be the same height as his older brother who's now a perfect 50th percentile at almost age 4.
    My hopes are shattered

My baby is 50th ptile for height and 5th ptile for weight so she is skinny no doubt about that. I don't think there would be as much concern if she were 5th ptile for both height and weight. Also, I wish people would say she is tall for her weight rather than thin for height.

Keep in mind, too, that how babies look at this age doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how they will be as adults. I was a TOTAL chunker. I was born at 9 lbs and something and was ridiculously chubby for the first 2 or 3 years. I am now 5'4" and 105 or so. Don't worry, your LO may grow up to be the athlete you hope for...or not...every baby's different!

careful which charts you are looking at as well becos most paeds use charts meant for the general population incl the formula fed babies. WHO has one for bf babies. my ds is 1 yo and has dropped from 90th percentile to 25 percentile in the last 5 months since he started on solids, even tho he was/is still nursing 3 -4x a day. my ds is also smallish weighing in at maybe 19lbs now. but paed's not concerned becos he's eating well and looks healthy and developing well. that's more important than size.