Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is supplementing necessary?

Question Is supplementing necessary?

I am 30 weeks pregnant and listening to EVERYONE's advice. A coworker told me his wife "just can't" product enough milk. They have a 4 month old daughter. I told him from everything I've read and researched that she should get a hold of a lactation consultant and discuss it.

He said there is nothing to discuss - That some women can only produce a certain amount and thats it. He said the majority of bfing moms always supplement w/ formula.

Is this true? If so - I'd feel so disappointed in myself in not being able to product milk for my baby .... I am very much looking forward to breastfeeding her.

*So - Will supplements be necessary? How often does this occur?

*This coworker also said for the first week I'll HAVE to supplement because my milk might not drop until a week after ....

Default Re: Is supplementing necessary?

I wrote a book and then lost it... stupid computer
    are you going to a lll group? They are just great for helping moms!
    It's a good idea to have a leader you know to call if you run into probems, they are easliy fixed, the longer you wait after birth the harder it is to fix.
    Supplements are not needed in healthy babies! They cause more problems!
    Frequent nursing helps to treat Jaundice, if you r baby is given formula then he will suck less at the breast, and then you make less milk .a baby can become confused if given an artifical nipple too soon.
    Nurse on demand and watch wet and poopy diapars.
    A baby should have one to two wet diapars the 1st two days after the 3rd day the baby should have 5-6 wet diapars and 3 poops in a day.
    make a no bottles sign for the bassinet!

weight gain should be detrerminded from lowest weight the baby reached.
    most babies lose 5-7% and they may take up to two weeks to regain birth weight.
    find out how to correct a wrong latch and you will do just fine when your baby comes.
    Do you have the book the womanly art of breastfeeding?
    it shows and discribes a good latch.
    Supplements are not needed before your milk comes in either, colostrum is the perfect food for babies and you have the right amount for your baby.

That is not true. A true low milk supply is rare. Most often, if a mother suffers from a low milk supply it is due to basic breastfeeding mismanagement. Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand. Baby provides the demand and your body will provide the supply.

If you don't allow baby to nurse on demand or if you offer supplemental bottles then you can be setting yourself up for failure. The less time baby spends at the breast means the less milk you're breasts make. And the less milk your breasts make, the more you're inclined to supplement...and on goes the downward spiral that will eventually lead to more and more supplements and less breastmilk.

The above poster is absolutely correct -- colostrum is the perfect food for babies and you have exactly the right amount.

What makes this coworker an expert?

Funny you should ask that. My coworker was very defensive when I said he should contact someone.

He said they both know what to do and it's not as easy as I think.

I'm in a hard position as I've never had a child before and am pretty nervous of the difficulties ......

From reading this forum - A lot of people have some pretty ridiculous opinions, approaches and ideas of breastfeeding. (This is a very touchy topic - everyone knows best)

I've been told to supplement for the first week as milk rarely drops in that time; your breasts only produce a certain amount and it's rarely enough; feed 5-10 mins per breast to avoid pain

The more you nurse while your body is producing colostrum, the faster your milk changes to mature milk, also often termed milk 'coming in'. The less nursing those first days, the longer it will take for your milk to mature. Using supplements when they should be nursing often sets mothers up for a cycle of low supply.

I definitely recommend reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, as another poster suggested. Another good one is The Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Sears. This will give you the most accurate and up-to-date information about breastfeeding. Attending meetings are also helpful for many mothers. The same accurate and up-to-date info is given at meetings as well.

Nothing brings out unsolicited advice like a pregnant mother or the mother of a new baby. And nothing holds on to outdated information and old wives tales more than childbirth and breastfeeding! Always get a second opinion and take what will work for you out of all the advice and information you get and leave the rest.

Also, the length of time nursing does not cause pain. The number one cause of pain while breastfeeding is improper positioning and/or latch. If you find yourself experiencing pain, it is not normal and I definitely recommend calling a local LLL Leader or a certified lactation consultant (IBCLC).

Colostrum is the perfect food before your milk 'comes in' and is all your baby needs until then. It is actually more normal for milk to 'come in' by the 3rd day and more rare for it to be delayed as long as 7 days. The key to this is nursing early and often in the first few days.

Many women feel more confident about breastfeeding when they are around women who are breastfeeding, with or without difficulties, and LLL meetings are a great place for this. There are usually a wide variety of mothers in attendance, so there will be different viewpoints represented. To avoid difficulties with breastfeeding it is vital to be getting accurate information from reliable sources.

Your body is designed to produce exactly what your baby needs. There are very rare circumstances where mothers have a true low milk supply, but as another pp said, problems with supply are usually from breastfeeding mismanagement. And unfortunately, this is usually due to inaccurate information being given to the mother.
    Last edited by LLLTanya; March 8th, 2006 at 12:35 PM.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Wow Tanya - Thanks.

That info is great!! I didn't know (well I actually don't know a lot) about the process of colostrum turning into mature milk.

You are right about the advice ....... I need to learn to leave it ...

I just really want to do the best thing for our baby. My husband and I are definitely looking foward to this.....

Thank you everyone

*I'll be buying that book shortly

You may want to start going to LLL meetings now, while you are pregnant. There's a LOT of misinformation about breastfeeding out there and La Leche League is recognized as the world's foremost breastfeeding authority. To be certain, it's difficult to wade through the myths and misconceptions that abound but you won't go wrong by getting your information from La Leche League!

If you think about it, the notion that your breasts only produce a certain amount and it's rarely enough is rather silly. What did cavewomen and women in the middle ages do? Certainly most of their babies faired just fine and I'd bet dollars to donuts that they weren't out milking cows (or goats...or whathaveyou).

Also, as for limiting the time at the breast -- this isn't true. In fact, a baby should be allowed as much time at the breast as he/she needs.

Good luck to you!
    Last edited by LLLCarol; March 8th, 2006 at 02:18 PM.