Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Time for Domperidone?

Default Time for Domperidone?

Can night weaning reduce milk supply? I'm not pumping enough at work anymore - I'm about 2-4 ounces short now. My 6-month old daughter is on cereal and babyfood as well, but lately I haven't been able to pump the bottles she needs, but then again, we both need to sleep better at night. I'm so sad about this! I've been taking Fenugreek since I started bf. Is Domperidone my only option now?

Default Re: Time for Domperidone?

Night weaning can definitely reduce your supply. Would you be able to pump once at night? The more you pump, the more you'll make. Even with supplements to boost your supply, if you're not getting the milk out, your body won't think you want more. Make sure to drink plenty of water and have plenty of protein. Have you considered co-sleeping? It's a good way of getting more rest and still nurse at night. My 14-mo-old still nurses 2-3 times briefly at night, and neither one of us is very awake when he nurses.
    I'm not familiar with Domperidone, but I took fenugreek and Reglan, which made me depressed, so I had to stop taking it. There's an herbal tea called Mother's Milk that helped me also.
    Find a good lactation nurse or LLL leader. It takes a lot of support to breastfeed.
    My low supply with my first baby was the most frustrating experience I've ever had as a mother. I felt like my body was betraying me. I understand how you feel and I hope it works out soon.
    Last edited by SouthernSAHM; December 21st, 2006 at 09:34 AM.

Default Re: Time for Domperidone?

Yes, I do get mad at my body sometimes! The past few weeks have been great, but this week has just been horrible with out-put. Luckily I have a stash in the freezer. My goal is to make it to a year, or whenever she can have cow's milk, and still bf, but I really want to avoid any formula whatsoever.
    My daughter actually sleeps very well in her crib - the other night we tried to get her to sleep with us, but she wanted her own bed! I know in the long run that's a good thing.
    I have tried the tea - I'll probably pick some up today when I get more fenugreek.
    Thank you for responding - you're right about the support! I'm very determined to keep up with bf!!