Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long to dump after taking aspirin before it's safe again?

Default how long to dump after taking aspirin before it's safe again?

I had a fever on Sunday, and took 1 81mg aspirin before I realized I should check if it was safe first.

Then I read aspirin is a big problem, so I've dumped everything I pumped since taking it (and have not offered the breast since...DD is drinking EBM supply from earlier).

How long should I dump the pumped EBM, when is it safe?

Thanks,
    Leslie

Default Re: how long to dump after taking aspirin before it's safe again?

I'd call your doc to be sure..

one asprin shouldn't do much of anything. It is high doses that will affect the breast milk and baby enough to worry about.

At least what my doc told me as I take pain meds and was asking him about the different ones that would be best for me to take.

It is quick acting and quick to be purged through the system, so probably 24 hours should be plenty if you are worried.

But again, you should give your doc or even a pharmacist a call. They know the half lifes of the drugs, and could tell you the length the drug should be noticeable in your system.

Default Re: how long to dump after taking aspirin before it's safe again?

If you took one 81mg dose I would not even dump at all, personally. I have a friend who has a clotting disorder, she takes 81mg aspirin every day and breastfeeds with no problem.