Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oatmeal waking baby wake...

Default Oatmeal waking baby wake...

Just wanted to share this just in case others were experiencing something similiar...
    My LO is 6.5 months and I started him on solids about 3 weeks ago. We started with sweet potatoes, then bananas...and then I decided to try oatmeal. LO responded best to the oatmeal, opening his mouth and loving it!! He was good for a couples days - happy, waking twice to nurse at night (typical for him). THEN - he started waking at 2am a few nights in a row...crying, crying, inconsolable! He wouldn't nurse, didn't want to cuddle (he usual favorites during the night). He has never been that way (we're lucky, I know!), and I was blaming teething....until we skipped oatmeal one day, and then he was back to himself at night. I still didn't realize it was the oatmeal (I thought maybe the tooth finally broke through or something), but the next time he had oatmeal, it was the same crying deal during the night. Finally, Mommy got the hint and cut out the oatmeal and we have not had inconsolable crying again. I guess the oatmeal was just too much for his little belly. Just wanted to share to save some babies (and Mommies) some pain!!

Default Re: Oatmeal waking baby wake...

Perhaps it is the gluten. Be careful with wheat.

I agree with pp....
    Oats used to make my tummy hurt when I was a kid.

Should wheat be avoided all together? Or just limited to small amounts?

I eat wheat...would he have a problem with nursing after I eat wheat if the gluten is the issue?

Thanks for the heads up...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunoosh View Post
    Should wheat be avoided all together? Or just limited to small amounts?
    we left wheat to the last thing. he tried rice (not cereal, just rice), oatmeal, barley, millet. then, when i knew he hadn't had any reaction to any of these, i gave him some wheat germ in his yogurt. now he'll eat a whole banana and 1 slice of wheat toast for breakfast (i know, I have a pig for a son).

i'd go slowly and watch very carefully. we do not have any allergies on either side of the family, so we aren't as paranoid as most. we aren't reckless either, but we don't fret over a lot of stuff that the "experts" say we should. but our son hasn't been vaccinated either, so his immune system hasn't been compromised. we are careful, but not overcautious, KWIM?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

We also had a problem with cereal but more problems with what KIND of cereal. Ryder is allergic to dairy and soy and Gereber has hidden dairy and soy.....but no issues with beechnut!!
    Whitney wife to Darren~~~~BWing and CDing and BFing (duh!)
    Mommy to Jace and Jadon identical twin boys (4-15-01)
    Mommy to Skyler(rambo) (2-28-04)
    Mommy to Ryder (5-02-06)
    Sawyer is here!!!!-(5-08-08)overdue!

I used Earth's best oatmeal...so we're not getting "hidden" ingredients.

I guess I'll just wait awhile before giving it again...I haven't done any other grains. He's doing great with his peas, pears, sweet potato, and banana though.

my lo had similar reactions to rice cereal and sweet potatos....so we just stopped both for now and will try again later..
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

I felt so bad that he reacted...and of course my mom is saying "I told you to give him RICE cereal." Told you so, told you so..."give him rice and he'll sleep for you..." Blah, blah, blah!!

Arg. Annoying.