Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is every 2-3 hours from the time you start or end?

Default Is every 2-3 hours from the time you start or end?

So if you feed at 10am, should you feed again at 12 or 1pm, or from the time you finished the 10am feeding? I'm assuming that not getting this right can lead to oversupply issues.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Is every 2-3 hours from the time you start or end?

The time between feedings is measured from start to start. If you begin a feeding at 12, ideally the next one should be offered at 2, and no later than 3.

Generally though, as long as your baby is producing 2-3 dirty & 5-6 wet disposable diapers in a 24-hour period, and generally gaining weight, then they can eat whenever in the 24-hour-period as long as they eat at least 8 times.

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    The time between feedings is measured from start to start. If you begin a feeding at 12, ideally the next one should be offered at 2, and no later than 3.

Generally though, as long as your baby is producing 2-3 dirty & 5-6 wet disposable diapers in a 24-hour period, and generally gaining weight, then they can eat whenever in the 24-hour-period as long as they eat at least 8 times.

HTH!
    Thanks for the clarification

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

No problem! I admire your determination to educate yourself so early. I wish I had found this place while I was still pregnant!

I want to add that in the early weeks, the first month or so, you should always at least offer the breast every two hours. This ensures a healthy milk supply and sometimes newborns are too sleepy to wake up for feedings on their own.

And on the flip side, there will definately be times (especially during growth spurts) where it will be more like one hour. There will probably be times when you find yourself saying, "S/He can't be hungry already. I just fed him/her." Go ahead on offer anyway. BTW, oversupply is most likely to either occur "just because" or because of pumping. Don't worry about your feeding patterns causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    And on the flip side, there will definately be times (especially during growth spurts) where it will be more like one hour. There will probably be times when you find yourself saying, "S/He can't be hungry already. I just fed him/her." Go ahead on offer anyway. BTW, oversupply is most likely to either occur "just because" or because of pumping. Don't worry about your feeding patterns causing it.
    Thanks for your feedback!

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

nywifey-

I just have to say this in response to all of you recent threads- I have seen you around the forums for weeks and weeks now preparing yourself. What a great mom you will be and I have no doubt you will be successful at breastfeeding. For the most part, all it takes is education, support, and lots of determination and it sounds like you have all that! So much of this will start to make more sense when you actually start breastfeeding. You have probably overloaded yourself with info and feel a bit overwhelmed. This is what I did, and how I felt (although I was still very much lacking in the knowledge of BFing) Anyway, if you want my unsolicited advice I would take the next month to try not to worry about all the small stuff. Relax! Go on dates and pamper yourself. It does not matter how much you read and think you know, all of it changes so much when that baby is actually right there. I am sure that you will find yourself very prepared to breastfeed and when questions and challenges do arise, you know where to come for help! Try not too overwhelm yourself too much Mama and take care! Happy holidays and good luck with the last month of your pregnancy.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.