Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple more questions...

Default Re: A couple more questions...

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    go to a couple of LLL meetings before the baby comes that way you'll know what is normal for nursing!
    good luck in the next few weeks!

Oh Yes - What good Advice!! I wish docs in the OB office would tell people to do this!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

-How long did it take you after your conception date that you "felt" pregnant?
    I "felt "pregnant 2 weekd after conception, although i just thought i had the flu for 3 weeks, then i took the test and there was a pink line!!

-What's the advantages to cloth vs. disposable diapers?
    For us, is about convenience, DF and I both work full time, so disposable are a big time saver. If one of us stayed at home we would CD, i've read some interesting studies with the health benefits...

-What was one product you couldn't live without in those first months?
    Boppy. You HAVE to get a Boppy.
    -What's the best way to get people to not touch (or kiss) your baby's face?
    Tell 'em. Just flat out say the baby is very new and on medical advise it's best if people keep their distance for now. And if someone doesn't listen ( I won't name and names but MIL is a big culprit...oops, did i name names??) revoke privileges. You don't give up beer caffine and nicotine for nine months to have someone elses germs mess them up!!

-Other than call your doctor, what's one of the first things you should do to prepare for baby? (health wise and general preparedness)
    Cook a couple of meals ahead and freeze them in those disposable aluminum pans. Home cooking is nice when no clean up is involved.

The few things I would recommend for you & your LO would definitely be (like the PP's said) a Boppy pillow and also a travel crib or bassinet. My LO sleeps right next to my side of the bed which makes it so convenient to wake & feed her at night.

With my second DD I didn't know I was pregnant for awhile. I was irregular after having my first DD and didn't know when I'd get AF, but I remember feeling nauseaus when I was grocery shipping and I think I took the test that night and it was positive.

I only use disposable diapers (yes I am contributing to the garbage crisis in America ) but only because it is so easy. I did use cloth diapers in the hospital when my LO developed a hossible rash, but it went away and I went back to disposables. I, personally, don't have the patience for cloth diapers. but here is so much information on this site about cloth and how you can use them. You will definitely get much friendly advice from the women who swear by them. And yes, you would save money using cloth.

To prepare for baby - get your nesting done as early as you can so you can rest rest rest before birth. Read What to expect the first year, go to LLL meetings, take the classes recommended by your OB or hospital.

You've probably already heard it, but LO is Little One, DD is dear daughter, PP is previous poster.

Good luck to you!

I knew the very next morning. No joke. I felt something like butterflies in my belly.
    Some of the advantages of cloth are 1) they are cheaper in the long run 2) Even with the extra washing, it is better for the environment 3) they're really cute 4) If you have more than one child, you'll be able to use them again

There are many more advantages, but as Sasha said earlier, disposables can really be easy, especially in the first month or two. Even as a cloth diaperer, I don't know if I'd be able to commit to them during those first hectic days.

The glider. and a wrap or sling.
    Like pp said, put your LO in a sling and they'll keep their distance
    -Other than call your doctor, what's one of the first things you should do to prepare for baby? (health wise and general preparedness)
    1) Get in the habit of drinking PLENTY of water.
    2) Talk honestly and bluntly with your doctor or midwife about what you want.
    3) As you get closer to your due date, make lots of freeze-able food. I froze stuff in 1 and 2 portion batches. You WILL NOT have time or wherewithall for cooking when you first get home, yet you will be hungry ALL THE TIME if you're nursing You want good, healthy food around that's easy and fast. This was a total lifesaver for us.

Good luck, it sounds like you're going to be really well prepared!

With DS, I suspected I was pregnant a few days after my period was due. I was just starting to feel some breast tenderness, but honestly I don't think the early pregnancy symptoms were very distinguishable from normal pre-menstrual symptoms (for me anyway). With DD, even though my period was late, I did not think I was pregnant because my cycles had been irregular. I actually went to the doctor to tell her I was worried about being able to conceive because of my irregular cycles. Well, she did a pregnancy test and, lo and behold, I was! But I didn't notice any symptoms until a week or two later (then I started feeling sick to my stomach and getting nosebleeds).

I cloth diaper and love it. Some of the pps have covered the benefits, and I agree: (1) less expensive (can be MUCH less depending on which kind you use), (2) healthier for baby (the incidence of diaper rash went up from 7% to 80% when the majority of the population started using disposables in the 60s and 70s); (3) better for the environment (there is some "controversy" about this fueled by a study done by a disposable diaper company, which I think is total BS-the water used to wash cloth diapers is no more than what is used for an adult to flush a toilet weekly); (4) much cuter and more fun! There is a CDing group on this site for CDers and people interested in CD. You can request to join by going to "User CP" then "Group Memberships" and request to join.

Two "products" I could not live without were my DH and my LC (lactation consultant). Seriously, having people around to help and give BF advice is really important.

To prepare your body for baby and a healthy pregnancy, make it a point to exercise and eat right from the start. Even when I was in the uncomfy last couple of months with DD, I walked and did yoga every day. And putting on too much extra weight during pregnancy can make the pregnancy and delivery harder and be difficult to lose afterward (although BFing helps ).

Welcome to the forum! You are getting a lot of great advice!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I am so glad I found a supportive place for advice before becoming pregnant. You ladies will surely be my biggest refrence for my first pregnancy. I found a LLL here in my community (which surprised me as this community is mostly ghetto ) Not many people in my family support natural birth or BFing because of the number of births that were "accidents" and usually not seen as a blessing, unfortunately. I really have no one else to ask these questions (so don't be surprised if I ask a million questions between now and the time my LO arrives. ) Thank you again for all the help!
    Jasmine

Quote Originally Posted by HopingToBeMommy View Post
    With my first, it was about 16 days later, when I realized that I had missed a period. Morning sickness kicked in about a week later, which was horrid. With my second, I just knew about a week later, and the hpt was a confirmation. I sorta knew with the third too, also about a week later. The BEST way, IMHO, to confirm a pregnancy is to wait until the day AFTER the missed period, which is 17 days, at most, after ovulation. Makes for a long two weeks, but your chances of having a false negative are much less.

I use cloth diapers, and you don't want to get me started, LOL. We have a CDing forum here, which is a lot of fun, and you can google on the web and read all sorts of stuff. I started using cloth to save money, and now I'm really glad to be helping the environment too. I used cloth from day one with this baby -- other than a few disposables when I couldn't get the diaper cover to stop rubbing the cord -- but I am not sure I'd do that with my first. With a first baby, just getting any diaper ON is a challenge! So I think I'd give myself a break for a few weeks and use sposies while getting to know my baby and working on breastfeeding if this was my first child.

I can't live without my sling for baby -- he's sleeping in it right now, and I just cleaned my house in preparation for my in-laws arrival with him in the sling. But for mama care, I found during this last postpartum period that I really like the Earth Mama Angel Baby products. Their teas and the New Mama Bottom Butter are incredible and just made me feel better.

I don't leave the house with the baby for 6-8 weeks, since their immune systems and blood-brain barriers aren't fully developed until then, and go where I'll see people who know me who will want to hold and kiss the baby. I do go where I don't know people, like the store, but I keep him in the sling, and so nobody touches him unless I specifically allow it. But people are pretty good about not touching/kissing the face in my experience, not so much the hands, which is what the baby puts in the mouth!

As far as general preparedness, I'd just make sure I was eating well, exercising and getting financial planning down before conception and as much as possible during pregnancy. I swear by Dr. Sear's books too, and I'd recommend reading them and avoiding the common ones, like "What to Expect."
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!