Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple more questions...

Lightbulb A couple more questions...

Well I am really trying to get all the facts while I'm trying to concieve so I have some more questions.

-How long did it take you after your conception date that you "felt" pregnant?
    -What's the advantages to cloth vs. disposable diapers?
    -What was one product you couldn't live without in those first months?
    -What's the best way to get people to not touch (or kiss) your baby's face?
    -Other than call your doctor, what's one of the first things you should do to prepare for baby? (health wise and general preparedness)

I'll probably have a million more questions when I actually concieve. And one more... what do all of the abreviations mean?? LOL I don't know what LO and some others mean... I'm confused!! LOL

Thank You Thank You in advance!

Default Re: A couple more questions...

How long did it take you after your conception date that you "felt" pregnant?
    I knew I was pregnant two days after I missed a period. I was not charting or anything like that.

Cloth versus disposable diapers.
    There's a private cloth diapering group you can join on this board.

I started out using disposables, but switched to cloth. I am so glad that I did. There is so much less waste from cloth diapers. Also, cloth diapers are much cheaper in the long run.

There are several different types of cloth diapers. There are all-in-ones, pocket diapers, and prefolds & covers. The all-in-ones work like disposables. The pocket diapers have two layers: a waterproof outer layer and a fleece inner layer. The pocket is stuffed with an absorbant terrycloth or cotton insert. Pocket diapers are easy to use. Prefolds & covers are what our parents may have used on us. It is a combination of a rectangular diaper that is pinned or fastened and a waterproof cover. This is the least costly method of diapering.

I usually wash the diapers every two or three days. Depending on where you live you may also have the option of a diaper service.

What was one product you couldn't live without in those first months?
    Two items: a baby carrier and a Boppy or Breastfriend pillow.

What's the best way to get people to not touch (or kiss) your baby's face?
    Put baby in a baby carrier! There are many different types. A good website is The Baby Wearer.

What's one of the first things you should do to prepare for baby? (health wise and general preparedness)
    Watching my diet, light/moderate exercise, and taking a Bradley childbirth class helped me!

How long did it take you after your conception date that you "felt" pregnant?
    I new in about a week or two right before my period was suppose to start.

Cloth are healthier for the enviroment but I still use disposable ( easier) even though I know how bad it is..
    Books and magazine you spend alot of time sitting and feeding..
    I told them flat out not to!!! they all still think I am nuts oh well...
    -Other than call your doctor, what's one of the first things you should do to prepare for baby? (health wise and general preparedness)

Excerise, drink water, eat vitamin rich foods, read as much as you can to search your options ...There is never a right way or wrong way for childbirth you just do your best.....keep an open mind....good luck.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by HopingToBeMommy View Post
    I felt pregnant almost immediately. We weren't actively attempting to conceive, but when we did I knew something was "different." When I was only two weeks pregnant I woke in the night with a "warm bubble" feeling above my pubic bone. Then, I was throwing up all day on Christmas last year, I was about 3-4 weeks pregnant then.

Disposables are easier, you can just toss them and in the busy busy days of early motherhood, not have to worry about cleaning/sterilizing/containing the soiled reusable ones. However, cloth most likely "breathe" better and are obviously much better for the environment since they reduce garbage.

A package of highly absorbent burp cloths. Without them, we would have gotten milk everywhere. I never thought I'd need them before the birth, but they ended up being my most valuable baby shower items.

I still haven't figured this out. Usually I just try to stand between them and the baby if she's in the stroller, or hold her for dear life and tell them you can't let go of her. Haha. You could always just politely ask them not to (I know, it's tough, I don't have the guts still)

Quit smoking, quit drinking, watch what foods you eat (some doctors say that the mercury found in seafood is potentially dangerous to a developing fetus); Sleep well, eat well, plan wether you want to stay at home or continue working and decide on the details. You won't want to worry about that stuff later on.

Good luck to you!

I felt great and didn't feel pregnant until around 6 weeks when I felt completely nauseous and stayed that way until, hmmm, week 16?

I use disposables because I am lazy even though I know they are terrible for the environment. On the other hand, in Southern California, water is at a premium, so there is no "perfect" solution. Some friends of mine swear by "G diapers" (you flush and change only the inner part of the diaper), but I am too poor for those now.

Boppy pillows are fantastic (especially if you had a c-section and need to keep the baby off your incision), mylicon drops for when the baby has gas, and most importantly, a pediatrician that supports breastfeeding. After I had my baby boy, the nursery nurses told me I could only get my boy out from under the bili lights (he had jaundice) for only 30 minutes at a time. Sometimes it took me 15 minutes just to get him latched and I wasn't going to interrupt him once he figured it out! So I was getting him back "late." The nurses were giving me grief until I had my pediatrician call them and tell them to chill out.

oh, and the best thing to have around is someone to help clean house, cook and keep you sane. A mom? A best friend?

Not sure how to answer this question. I tried for 1.5 years to get pregnant. I took the pregnancy test before I actually "felt" pregnant. I never had morning sickness either. I'd say at about 2-3 months, I started having problems with insomnia. That would be it.
    Cloth: cheaper (if you do your own), but can be more leaky.
    Disposable: cost more, fill up the landfills, but daycares around here require disposables. We tried cloth. They weren't very practical for us.
    Breastfeeding boppy.
    In the first months, I took him out in a sling that closed him up pretty tightly, so they couldn't even look in unless I let them.
    Give up smoking, take prenatals when you are trying to get pregnant. Lose weight if you are overweight. Cut back or give up on alcohol and caffeine.

Thank you so much for the advice! It's too early to take a test but I have felt different since the day I think I got pregnant. I am having a MAJOR problem with insomnia right now. I have gotten nauseas (no throwing up) the past few days. And as of last night, I have really sore nips. I've had a L O T of baby dreams lately too. I am hoping this is a sign and not just me wanting one so bad, I'm doing this myself... I did read a lot into the boppys and brestfriend pillows. I know that will be essential. I never got the advice of the pediatrician to be on board with breast feeding... I'm really looking forward to being a mommy and having that bond with my child. Keep the advice coming PLEASE!! LOL

Hoping to be

I knew when I took the pregnancy test the day after I missed my period. I didn't feel pregnant until weeks after!
    Cloth are cheaper, better for the environment, don't leak nearly as much (especially the breastfed baby poop), and are better for baby (none of those chemicals next to baby's skin).

One? I have to pick one? Okay, my water cup that the hospital gave me.

Put the baby in the baby carrier, facing mommy!

Start eating healthy and getting plenty of rest. Enjoy rest now, while you can! After the 7th month I stopped sleeping well and haven't gotten a great night's sleep since then. Oh, woe is me!

Keep asking questions! The more you know the better off you will be once it really happens!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Smile Re: A couple more questions...

I decided to take a pregnancy test because we were having a party at our house and I wanted to make sure I was not pregnant so I could drink. Turns out, I had conceived 2 weeks prior and the test was positive before I missed my period (I had a negative test 3 weeks prior). Only 2 close friends noticed I was having virgin drinks all night!

Cloth are cheaper and may be better for the environment (or not when you consider in the electricity, water and soaps for cleaning).
    Disposable are nice for convince. We use both. Also, some daycares will not use cloth for health reasons.

I have to agree with the PP - my water cup that the hospital gave me.
    Other than that - this forum - it helped A LOT!

Again, I agree with PP - Put the baby in the baby carrier, facing mommy! I have both a Nojo (sling) and a Bjorin (front-pack). My LO (Little One) likes the sling more for resting. When your Pregnant a good way to keep people from touching you is to reach to touch their belly at the same time and it will shock them! Wink and they will never reach for a pregnant belly again without asking!

Again, I agree with the PP (she must be smart - ) Start eating healthy and getting plenty of rest. I would add, take a look around your house and see what little changes you can make in your lifestyle. Can you use more natural or less toxic products for cleaning or killing bugs? If so, go ahead and make those changes!

What does LO and other abbreviations mean:http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...=abbreviations
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

go to a couple of LLL meetings before the baby comes that way you'll know what is normal for nursing!
    good luck in the next few weeks!