Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let 2 week old cry through the night?

Unhappy Let 2 week old cry through the night?

I really need to get my sleep and my newborn wakes me up in the middle of the night (which is totally typical). People keep suggesting to me to just let him cry through the one usual feeding that is in the middle of the night. I feel horrible doing this to a 2 week old, but I'm a new mom, should I do this so I get my rest? They say it won't hurt him and he'll cry himself back to sleep, but I just feel so bad doing this. What do you think? I really need my sleep!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Let 2 week old cry through the night?

Congrats on your little one but I'm sorry to say skipping a feeding at this age is not a good idea. The Farber method is a method that is used on infants (not newborns) for self soothing to fall asleep (you let them cry). Your lo is too young for this method right now and probably won't work. My lo is up at 12am, 3:30am, 6am, and up for good at 8am. If you are breast feeding try the side lying position (that's what has saved me). Hang in there and remember the saying, sleep when baby sleeps. When baby is a little older then you can let him cry, but not yet....too young! Good luck.

You must be so tired! I went through that two week old stage just four months ago! I would recommend that you go with what your instincts are telling you. If it doesn't feel right, then don't do it. A baby this young needs to wake and eat often. You are also still establishing your milk supply and skipping a feeding can be detrimental to your supply. Newborn babies' stomachs are only about the size of their closed fist. They need to eat often as their little tummies empty quickly. By responding to your baby's cries you are teaching him that he can trust you to meet his needs. Also, a baby does not think in terms of manipulation. If a baby is hungry, tired, wet, dirty, cold, hot, overstimulated, or just wants to be near mom they may cry.

You also need your rest! Life with a newborn is so hard because we are not accustomed to waking so often in the night. The best advice that someone gave me with my first child was "Sleep when the baby sleeps." You will feel so much more rested if you do this. Don't worry, as your baby gets older he will start sleeping for longer stretches of time. Encourage family and friends to help you with the house and cooking.

Have you tried nursing while lying down yet? If not, maybe practice it when you feel the most rested. It's an excellent way to rest while nursing at the same time.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

First, congrats! There is nothing quite like becoming a new mom and the sweetness of those first few weeks. But with those first adjusting months comes alot of exhaustion, as you have begun to find out. And it's only the beginning . First of all, I'm surprised to hear, (did I get this wrong?) that your baby only nurses once a night??? At two weeks most babies nurse every 3-4 hrs, which can often be twice, sometimes three times a night! So now I have a question: What's your sleeping arrangement? And how do you do your night nursing?

With my ds we co-slept but we also had a bassinet right in arms reach so that if we needed our space that night we could put him in it. then, when he woke up, I would pull him into bed, and lying down nurse him. By the time he was two months old he was in our bed full time and I would sleep through nursings!! I know alot of people think co-sleeping is odd, and we did too at first, but you're totally right: as a new mom you need your sleep and with all the growth spurts/teething/ and colds ahead, your baby will be nursing alot!

As far as sleeping through the night it seems that is the first question everyone asks :Is he/she sleeping through the night yet? As if this is something that determines if you're a good mom or not....hogwash!!! Babies needs dont end at night...they have alot of growing to do and are used to having their tummies fed around the clock...now that being said, if baby suddenly sleeps through the night at 6 weeks, woohoo!!! But if it's something that's forced several things come to mind :
    1. Baby stops crying not because he/she is happy and the need has been met, but because he/she finally gives up out of exhaustion

2. As I mentioned before, babies have tons of crazy growth spurts in the first few months...if they aren't fed as their needs arise, some people believe this could lead to developmental problems or stunting of growth.

3. Finally, and I don't know if this one is true or not so maybe someone else could chime it, but I was told by a nurse that babies don't usually have enough stores to sleep through the night all the time until they're at least 8 wks old....now once again, if it happens naturally, then obviously the baby doesn't have the need.

Anyhow, I want to send a your way...I can't believe its been nearly a year since I was in your shoes, and it gets better all too fast. You'll be tired for awhile, but enjoy all the time you can to nap while your baby does. If you can co-sleep this will help oh so much...and if not, then get a really comfy recliner that you can curl up in to nurse then hop right back in bed. Also, another option is bringing the crib into your room until the night nursings lessen, then you can grab the baby, nurse in bed, then go back to sleep! Drink lots of water, eat well, and take lots of naps...and thankfully our bodies adjust
    hang in there!
    ~Melanie

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleyaeger View Post
    People keep suggesting to me to just let him cry through the one usual feeding that is in the middle of the night.
    I would not recommend doing that at all. Newborns NEED to eat frequently. Their tummies are about the size of their fist. They need to refill often. Newborns grow at an incredible rate, and they have a physiological NEED to eat. Allowing your baby to cry through a feeding will not be good for his growth OR your milk production.

I feel horrible doing this to a 2 week old,
    Follow your instinct.

but I'm a new mom, should I do this so I get my rest? They say it won't hurt him and he'll cry himself back to sleep, but I just feel so bad doing this. What do you think? I really need my sleep!!!!!!!!
    I don't agree with the suggestion that letting a newborn cry instead of feeding won't hurt. Newborns need their mothers so intensely. I know it's exhausting, but do know that this is only a TINY amount of time in his life. This phase passes soooo quickly.

Could you nurse while lying down? Nap when he naps? Co-sleep? If you're really, really exhausted, perhaps your dh or another family member could feed him when he wakes (I wouldn't recommend that for a long term solution, but for a one night thing for you to catch up on your sleep, it might be helpful).

Congrats on your new arrival. And best of luck to you!

I have to agree with Home Executive on everything. The time passes so quickly. That LO needs you. Breast milk is digested so much faster because it doesn't have any "fillers" in it. It's actually digested in approx 90minutes. If your LO is only waking one time a night for feedings that really is not bad. Wait til she hits a growth spurt or teething!! I'm really suprised that a 2 week old is only waking once for a feeding. Relish this now but please do not get used to anything. Sleep patterns are so sporradic this first year. Good luck!!!

In addition to food, sometimes our little ones just need US. A warm mommy to hold onto. Remember, just two short weeks ago, your little one was warm and cozy in your belly, listening to your breathing and the beating of your heart.

The world outside is a scary, unfamilar place. By going to your little one when he cries, you are teaching him that he can depend on you. As an older baby, this trust will make him feel secure enough to self-sooth back to sleep when he awakes. He'll know mommy will come if he REALLY needs her!

It may seem like torture now, but this time will pass and your baby will start to sleep 5-6 hour stretches before you know it.

Try to make-up for lost sleep during the day by taking catnaps. Or take a brisk walk to perk yourself up. Drink lots of water and eat nutritious snacks.

Take care and know this very demanding time will pass.

It's hard now, but it does get better and once you get past the initial exhaustion of being a mom, you actually start to get used to getting up during the night. If you sleep near each other your sleep cycles will become more alike so you aren't getting woken out of a deep sleep. Hang in there!

Congrats on the new little one! What a blessing!
    I'm glad you asked about this, and I agree with the pps wholeheartedly.
    I think parents can feel a lot of pressure to make babies "independent" and get them to sleep "through the night" asap. I honestly think that a lot of parents LIE about when their baby started sleeping through or say "My baby slept through the night at X months/weeks old" when the baby did it ONE time. I think parents feel they have to lie because otherwise they will look like bad parents. Also, the concept of a newborn being independent is totally crazy-they can't do anything for themselves and depend on us for everything!
    A 2 week old waking only once per night is phenomenal. Please keep in mind, though, that most likely your LO will go through periods of time when she wakes more often to BF. This can be caused by numerous factors: a growth spurt, illness (sometimes before they show ogher symptoms), a time of intense developmental growth, teething, and others. Don't be surprised if this happens, and please don't see it as a sign that something is wrong with baby or that you are doing something wrong.
    BFing offers not only food but real comfort and pain relief (in the case of teething or growing pains) in the form of a natural pain reliever in BM. BM is some pretty amazing stuff.
    My DD was always "high needs" and used to wake pretty often. Even though it was hard sometimes, I just trusted her to communicate her needs and trusted my own instincts to care for my child. Now that she is 15 months old, I really believe that she is more self-assured and confident than my DS (who is loved tremendously but who we did let cry it out-CIO-before we knew better).
    Congrats again and good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I am only three months into bf, so I'm no expert, but I have learned A LOT from these boards and I think you're doing the right thing by seeking advice from all of these experienced BFing mothers! Good job!

My LO seemed to wake up constantly those first few weeks. I was exhausted. Co-sleeping really worked for us. Being close to her allowed me to check on her and meet her needs without even having to get out of bed. I'm able to lean over, grab a diaper out of the stand, change her, and lay back down to nurse her...all without ever fully waking up. It didn't happen over night. I couldn't even pinpoint the exact moment I moved from exhausted to well-rested. Now I'm able to go to bed with my LO at around 10pm. We get out of bed together and around 9am. I spose she wakes up to nurse maybe 4-5 times during this period, but we just position ourselves and sleep through it. Totally lazy! I have to go back to work in less than two weeks, so I'm really "milking" this time off for all it's worth. We snuggle together, watch tv, and nurse, nurse, nurse. Because I have to go back to work, I'm trying to build a schedule where she gets most of her food intake at night.

It will get better. I promise. You will find your groove and you'll look back at those first few weeks with the perspective of a seasoned mother!