Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth spurts and frequency?

Default Growth spurts and frequency?

hi, can someone remind when growth spurts occur? Jake is currently 9 weeks and the last couple of times at night he's slept less inbetween feedings and furiously latches on as soon as he sees it

also during the day he feeds every 2 to 2 1/2 hrs, is this about normal for his age? he's fed this frequent for several weeks now and i was just curious if this is average, i feed on demand mainly cos i don't know how else to approach it. his day feeds start from about 8am ish and his last one is generally 10pm ish, he then wakes up just twice at night but the last couple of nights his sleep time has been about 2hrs which isn't normal for him.

please feel free to share your schedules

Default Re: Growth spurts and frequency?

Sounds normal to me. Night waking patterns are likely to change several times over the coming months due to illness, family activities, developmental stages, and teething (and then there are the "unknown" reasons, too.) We've done anything from one night and one (very) early morning waking to every couple of hours for a couple of months at a time. It has been my experience that although there get to be some longer stretches between feedings as your lo gets older, we still average every couple of hours if it's just the two of us at home (he's almost 11 mo now). Here's some good info on growth spurts http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

thanks for that, i think my husband has been talking to his sister and when he mentions our schedule she (and others) say things along the lines of shouldn't he be going longer between feeds and why don't you try supplementing? he then mentions these to me and then i start to doubt myself and think 'is our schedule ok or am i doing something wrong?' so it' s nice to come here and get some reassurance.

i just checked out your link and everything i read says we're doing ok and that he's getting enough milk, thanks very much.

anybody else willing to share their schedule for this age?

Go with your instinct. Does it bother you to nurse every couple of hours? Here's some info on feeding on cue if you're interested. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns....html#schedule

If you haven't already, you might check out a local LLL group. Being around other women committed to breastfeeding and doing what's best for their babies is really helpful to me.

It sounds like your baby is already on a great schedule! Already sleeping so much at night- many mom's would be very jealous. My DD put herself on a pretty predictable schedule early on and also slept through the night early on but she had many growth spurts- more than what is described as average. It seemed like she would have a growth spurt and nurse almost twice as much every 4-5 days. Then she would go back to normal for a few days, then start all over again. She grew very rapidly during this time. About three months she started to slow down a bit. She is five months now. She still nurses about every two hours during the day. Goes to bed around 7-8. Wakes up around 11-1 to eat and once more around 5-6. But like pp said, many things can disrupt eating and sleeping along the way. Nursing on demand is one of the best things you can do for you and your baby. You are still building a supply so nurse as often as he needs. He is still young and you will find it hard to predict his eating habits right now but he will fall into a routine as he gets older. You are doing a great job. Welcome to the forums!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.