Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Veggie preparation

Default Veggie preparation

I'm just curious as to how everyone prepares veggies. Connor is far more a veggie man than a fruit guy, so I'd like to get a few more things into our rotation. He, of course, loves butternut squash (and acorn squash- all winter squashes, really), peas and carrots. I'm not sure how to prepare other veggies in a safe, self-feeding friendly way for him (he doesn't do spoons so purees aren't an option). For example, how would I do broccoli or cauliflower? Green beans? Zucchini?
    And while I'm at it... meat. Do I just cook chicken (or turkey or pork) in a pan with olive oil, no seasoning, or should I broil it? Or is it ok to get him used to seasonings (not salt and pepper maybe, but other herbs?), what's ok for him?
    He's 10 months and his solids interest is growing rapidly, sometimes I can't keep up with how much he wants to eat! Luckily he still loves breastfeeding too!
    Thanks!

Default Re: Veggie preparation

Hi! I steam broccoli and green beans and then give my son small florets of broccoli dipped in olive oil, or small pieces of green beans (maybe between .5-1 inch long). He puts them in and out of his mouth and sucks on them and occasionally even gnaws and swallows them. He also enjoys tossing them overboard (sigh!). I've also done zucchini and yellow squash in a similar way, cut into disks which I then quarter. He always tastes them, and today seemed to really get into the yellow squash. I've realized that it seems to work better to give the veggies first, before carbs like bread or crackers or pasta that he seems to favor.

I'm semi-vegetarian so I have't done much meat, just free range turkey at thanksgiving and chicken once or twice in smallish shreds. I think the chicken was pan fried, with herb seasoning (it was our leftovers).

Good luck!

Annie

Steam Steam Steam! Or Raw. DJ likes raw Broccoli! And what about artichokes? We've had much success with artichokes!
    Chicken shreds he's had have either been pan fried or grilled...Kevi LOVES to grill. Yes to the olive oil and I'd wait a little while longer on the pork....excepty maybe some strips of chops....otherwise it seems so SALTY in all it's forms.

Way too lazy for formula

I tend to boil... not allowed to steam after an unfortunate incident a couple years ago where I nearly ruined a $200 All-Clad pot steaming corn on the cob! But I imagine boiling would also do the trick.
    I did make him some chicken last night, I cooked it in olive oil and seasoned with Herbs de Provence. He was quite pleased with it. We'll stick with chicken for a while, especially since we're going out of town. Now if only I could get him to eat more fruits. I'm thinking of cooking some apples and sprinkling with cinnamon...
    I'd like to start seasoning a bit, so we can work up to having him eat what we eat. I tend to use a lot of spices in my cooking and I bet the flavors would be way too overwhelming at this point. I also use lots of cheese, which he hasn't tried yet.
    How do you prepare the artichokes? Do you use fresh or canned? Myles LOVES artichokes and I bet would be quite excited about giving them to Connor.
    Last edited by freeresponse; December 21st, 2006 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Adding a question

Well fresh. But....the only way I know how to cook them is to steam them

Way too lazy for formula

veg - steam is best, i think. retains vitamins better than boiling. i normally combine 2 veg tog... like peas and carrots or corn with mash potato/sweet potato, pumpkin with broccoli and meat... that kind of thing.

meat - stew... retains flavour in the gravy. or bake or grill. today i'm trying mini shepherd's pie by stewing the meat with the peas and carrots first then baking it with the mash/cheese till brown!

You know, I think I've heard that too, about steaming being better for vitamin retention. Perhaps we need to reevaluate my steaming privileges... and go buy a new steamer!
    So, in that case- I don't think I even know how to properly prepare a fresh artichoke. We always cooked and then tore the little "leaves" off and dipped in melted butter or whatnot. How do you prepare for a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by freeresponse View Post
    You know, I think I've heard that too, about steaming being better for vitamin retention. Perhaps we need to reevaluate my steaming privileges... and go buy a new steamer!
    So, in that case- I don't think I even know how to properly prepare a fresh artichoke. We always cooked and then tore the little "leaves" off and dipped in melted butter or whatnot. How do you prepare for a baby?
    Exactly like that but you don't dip the leaves in butter or mayo. You steam and them give him the leaves and let him eat the meat. DJ can't do a whole artichoke...but he does enough leaves that he gets his own because I don't want to share that many! Then I eat his heart!

Way too lazy for formula