Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 month old nursing problems

Default 5 month old nursing problems

Hi,
    My 5 month old son has started turning his head away while nursing sometimes refusing to nurse the whole day (in fact it all started when he was 3.5 months old but getting worse everyday). He then nurses all night. The big problem is because of this habit my milk supply went down about 25%. Since he refuses the bottle (and sipping cups and any other thing but the breast) I could not pump, I always have to have one full breast in case he wants to eat. Now, he wants to nurse particularly just before he goes to bed but I don't have enough milk and he cries every night for an hour. We tried giving him a bottle, cup, rice cereal, we even got a supplemental nursing system where you put a tube to your breast to give him the milk I pumped (and I am using Lactina which is supposed to increase the milk supply!) during the day after each feeding, but no. He both refuses everything and continues crying because he is hungry. His weight gain is going badly since he is 4 months old (about 3 oz per week). He is also very impatient, can't wait for the let-down which stresses me, which in turn slows down the let-down so we are in constant struggle the whole day. I began hating breastfeeding, which is probably not helping with the milk supply (getting up every hour during the night for feeding him does not help with the milk supply either). I cry all day, calling lactation consultants who tell me I have to take this until he can drink from a cup within a couple of months because it is too late to start giving a bottle. Please help me. Is there anyone who knows something that can help me? I really can't take this anymore. I mean what if I die, will he starve himself waiting for a breast? I really need to stop breastfeeding from my breast please please can anyone help me?

Default Re: 5 month old nursing problems

Hi there Deperate, welcome to the forum!
    I'm so sorry to hear you are having problems during a time when you should be peaceful! I imagine that you are really worried and i understand how that is. From what I myself have read, what you are experiencing is called a nursing strike and there are some things you can do. Don't give up quite yet, you will find a way to circumnavigate this! All will be well! Lots of women go through this and come out just fine. You hang in there mama!
    I'm going to do some research for you about links to things to read. hth

ok here are some links;

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...st.html#strike

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/nursingstrike.html

Also have you considered getting in touch with your local LLL leader? There ought to be one somewhere near you and you will be able to get more personal advice and support. In addition I would recommend that you go back to something like the 3rd page back in the threads posted in this group, there will be one titled something like" help! 1 month nursing strike already". Lots of women posted suggestions in that thread. I'm sure they will share their experience with you once they read your thread. good luck

Thank you very much for your reply carpentergirl, I 'll check out the links and other forums. Sometimes he seems to get better in terms of willingness to nurse but since my milk supply decreased and since he cannot be patient enough to continue sucking on a not-so-full breast, the situation cannot improve (he is worse than the pump in terms of being able to empty the breast). I continue pumping after each feeding and pray that my previously abundant milk supply comes back but for my sanity and for his well-being I wish we could find an alternative way of feeding so that we can give him his 4-5 oz bottles/cups 6-8 times a day and then sleep a little. I will contact the local LLL too, but anybody knows any way to do this? How can I wean him at least from day feedings to a cup (I guess giving a bottle at this point is a hopeless option)? Will a cold turkey approach work (because he CAN drink from a sipping cup, he just won't)?
    Thank you.