Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek

Default Fenugreek

Hi-
    My daughter is now 14 weeks and eating and growing well. I started fenugreek about 3 weeks ago because i got all stressed out about supply when i went back to work. I am taking 4 capsules 2x/day because 3x/day is too hard for me to remember. Either it has helped, or i have just gotten into a better routine. I am keeping up with her and able to keep freezing some extra milk when i get ahead. Do i need to keep taking the fenugreek indefinitely, or can you wean off or stop taking it once supply is better?
    THANKS-

Default Re: Fenugreek

Quote Originally Posted by mairismum
    Hi-
    My daughter is now 14 weeks and eating and growing well. I started fenugreek about 3 weeks ago because i got all stressed out about supply when i went back to work. I am taking 4 capsules 2x/day because 3x/day is too hard for me to remember. Either it has helped, or i have just gotten into a better routine. I am keeping up with her and able to keep freezing some extra milk when i get ahead. Do i need to keep taking the fenugreek indefinitely, or can you wean off or stop taking it once supply is better?
    THANKS-
    Yes, it is very stressful ,both for you and your baby, to go back to work so soon after her birth. It is good that you recognised right away that your supply was down and took steps to correct it.
    You can certainly start to gradually decrease the fenugreek and see what happens. If your supply is affected, it is easy to just take a little more.
    Remember, it only works if you ALSO continue to nurse/pump more frequently. Your breasts only make more milk when milk is removed. The more frequently it is removed, the more milk they make.

If you take fenugreek, make sure it does not contain any other ingredients. Apparently, some manufacturers include other herbs which can actually DECREASE your milk!
    The dosage to take varies with each person. you need to take enough so that you smell of maple syrup
    Please talk to your doctor before taking ANY herbs or otc meds. Fenugreek, for instance, is contraindicated if you have allergies to peanuts, or have severe hayfever, clotting disorders, hypoglycemia, or diabetes.

Do let us know how it goes!
    warmLLLy,
    LLLnormaR

Default Re: Fenugreek

I take More Milk Plus to help with supply and when I take it all, I definitely get more milk and can add to my stash. I ran out of it over the weekend and went a few days without it and noticed a big difference (drop) in supply. So if I were you, I definitely would do a gradual wean and if you notice it decreases, go back to taking more.