Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How soon can you nurse after birth?

Default Re: How soon can you nurse after birth?

I nursed my first within about 3 minutes -- as soon as he was sorta dried off and wrapped in a blanket. We have a photo of me laying on my back nursing him still in the blanket. I was hemorrhaging, and the midwife was hoping that nursing would be enough to stem the flow. It wasn't, but I was glad to have that connection with him. However, that did not make nursing easy for us; because I was transferred to the hospital for emergency surgery and he developed the shakes from low blood glucose (he was HUGE -- 11.5 lbs), he had a bottle of formula while they were repairing me. We had so much trouble nursing after that, and it took eight weeks to sort out breastfeeding.

I nursed my newest baby, who is now 6 weeks old, within probably 15 minutes, although it felt a lot longer than that. After getting out of the tub and getting on the bed so the midwife could check me out and I could deliver the placenta, I made DH hand me the baby so I could nurse him. He latched on by himself -- that instinct kicked right in -- and has been a perfect nurser ever since. We delayed weighing and measuring (I opted out of vitamin K and eye drops) until I was ready to switch breasts, which was about an hour later. He nursed for another hour then fell asleep and stayed asleep until much later that day; I just let him sleep (and slept myself) and then got started in nursing. He never lost any weight, which is quite unusual for a newborn.

However, they do go through a serious sleepy period, and it could be really, really hard to nurse for the first time during that time. If you can, nurse before that period as much as you can. If you can't, you still will be able to have a successful breastfeeding relationship.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I was given my baby immediately after he was born and I was so intent on latching him on that there is no cute mom holding newborn photo! Just me getting him latched on. He had a perfect latch but did not suck! For 2 whole days, he only had one good feeding. One nurse wanted to give him formula to calm him down to give him the hearing test, so I declined the hearing test! He was eventually given formula because he ended up in the NIC-U and my milk was not in, but his first 20 minute sucking session was on my breast. I was glad of that.

Good luck.
    Theresa

Hi - I didn't read all of the pp's but wanted to say that when my first DD was born I kept asking the nurse when I could try and feed her and was told to wait - I can't remember exactly how long it was before I nursed her (the pain medication and being tired from labor had me feeling very groggy) but I know it was when I was in the recovery room. I think this contributed to the problems I had early on with BFing her.

With my second DD born in October, I insisted on nursing her right after she was born (after they checked her, etc) so she was feeding within about 15-20 minutes after birth. She did great right from the start (aside from thrush).

I definitely recommend that you BF as soon after birth as possible. Good luck TTC!!!

[QUOTE=DebiMommyTo2;100394]Hi - I didn't read all of the pp's but wanted to say that when my first DD was born I kept asking the nurse when I could try and feed her and was told to wait - I can't remember exactly how long it was before I nursed her (the pain medication and being tired from labor had me feeling very groggy) but I know it was when I was in the recovery room. I think this contributed to the problems I had early on with BFing her.QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was afraid of happening. I'm still on the fence about hospital and water birth, and I know if I go to the hospital, there will be so many people giving their 2 cents. I certainly appreciate all the help!!

I hate to read about so many people having trouble with hospital staff and nursing. I LOVED where I gave birth. I nursed probably 15-20 minutes after he was born because he came out with the cord wrapped around his neck- I didn't get to hold him for 10 minutes! But, the hospital was so pro-breastfeeding. I was never separated from him (except for a couple of the tests, which my husband always accompanied). The hospital practiced couplet care, meaning we both stayed together. There was no nursery for me to send him to, only a NICU. Healthy babies stay with mom. He never had trouble latching or whatnot. It makes me sad to know that since we've moved I won't give birth there next time (whenever that may be).

Quote Originally Posted by HopingToBeMommy View Post
    I'm still on the fence about hospital and water birth, and I know if I go to the hospital, there will be so many people giving their 2 cents. I certainly appreciate all the help!!
    Really consider the water birth. If you read the birth story thread that's here in the refreshment table forum, you'll come across all sorts of neat stories about how water really helps. I'd vote (like my vote counts at all, LOL) against the hospital birth.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i was able to nurse right away after Olivia's birth. she was born at a birth center with the support of midwives instead of being born at a hospital. i have heard that you need to be very forward with your desires when you are in the hospital to insure that the nurses do not give your newborn a bottle when they take the baby to be weighed and assesed. one of the reasons that i chose the birth center was because they allow you keep your baby after the birth ( as long as the newborn is responcive and healthy ) as soon as she was born she was placed directly on my belly and remained there for over an hour. i think that she was almost three hours old before she was even weighed. in this environment the nurse and midwife were ready to help ensure that she successfully breastfed in the first moments of life.