Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How soon can you nurse after birth?

Question How soon can you nurse after birth?

I know when they are born they can be nursed, but no one has actually said how SOON you can nurse after birth. I don't have a baby and am not pregnant but am hoping to be soon.

Default Re: How soon can you nurse after birth?

You should nurse your baby within 30 minutes after giving birth. You can nurse them as soon as they come out if the hospital will let you. I have nursed immediately once the baby was handed to me with both my babies. That was about 3-5 minutes after birth. I am sure with a home birth you could do it sooner. Best wishes on getting pg.

Immediately, if possible. The baby's nursing instinct is the strongest when they are first born, not to mention, the hormones released from nipple stimulation cause uterine contractions which will assist in expulsion of the placenta. If this is your wish, make it clear ot the hospital, but some of them won't allow it.

I wanted this more than anything but I had an emergency c-section, and I didn't get to feed her until 30-45 mintues after her birth (and they had already given her formula! )

Good luck & congratulations!

I was told by a doula that in the first 20 minutes they have a strong sucking instict, which sort of fades out, so that it can be more of a struggle to get a good latch established. That was my experience completely. I was so engrossed in feeling and staring at my new baby I sort of missed my window and spent the next two days developing a healthy latch. I suggest you do it as soon as possible.
    here is a good site for viewing a proper latch.
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html
    hth

Smile Re: How soon can you nurse after birth?

Where I gave birth they allowed me to nurse as soon as her mouth and nose were suctioned out and they were sure she was ok. This was about 3 minutes after she came out (the doc was still working on me when I started nursing). However, my doc told me ahead of time to make sure I was very clear to everyone (and remind them) that I wanted to nurse ASAP after birth or they would take they baby and clean her up first and give her a bottle of formula to "get her started" which I did not want. We were told, If you do not ask, they would get your baby back to you in about 2 hours - Ug!

Since I asked and my hubby and I both reminded them (even as she was coming out) they gave her to me right away!

With that said, nursing right away does not guarantee an easy road. After her first nursing session (she she sucked like a hoover) she refused to nurse for 3 weeks. We cup fed and at 2 weeks started her on a bottle b/c she had lost so much weight (1lb under birth weight at 2 weeks). At week three she had gained 1.5 pounds and started nursing! She was just too small, tired and lazy in the beginning to nurse. No matter what happens keep trying (even if you have to cry when she rejects you for 3 weeks). Everything works out if you stick to it!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

The hospital I delivered in is pro breastfeeding. I was encouraged and did breastfeed as soon as she was suctioned. They didn't bath her or weight her until I was ready.. So we sat there for about 30 minutes bonding and enjoying each other..She instantly latched on...it was such a magical experience I love it....
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I can't stress enough that you should nurse the baby as soon as possible, before they do any procedures or anything. I wanted to do this and was told that it was standard procedure for mommies to nurse right away, but my nurse ended up taking her, cleaning her, and wrapping her up while I was stitched up (lovely). My daughter was a challenge from then on; it took her almost a week to really start feeding well. I recommend skin to skin contact - your bare chest and baby in just a diaper. Your body heat will keep her warm. Let her try the "australian" position, crawling up and latching on while you lie on your back and she on her tummy. I also had an awful experience with a lactation "counselor" who brutalized my breasts, my baby, and my psyche. I just say this to warn you. MAKE SURE your hospital is breastfeeding friendly (and make sure they're not just claiming to be) and has a CERTIFIED lactation consultant on staff, available to you the day you give birth. I really had a traumatic experience and I hope you can learn from my mistakes. Good luck conceiving.

Another thing about the importance about nursing after birth.....your LO is likely to be very alert right after birth. If you wait, babies sometimes go into snooze mode, and it can make breastfeeding more difficult at first. Not to say that it can't be overcome, but why not capitalize on your LO's alertness?

BTW, I can't believe some of these horrid stories about hospitals feeding formula "just to get them started".

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile View Post
    Another thing about the importance about nursing after birth.....your LO is likely to be very alert right after birth. If you wait, babies sometimes go into snooze mode, and it can make breastfeeding more difficult at first. Not to say that it can't be overcome, but why not capitalize on your LO's alertness?

BTW, I can't believe some of these horrid stories about hospitals feeding formula "just to get them started".

Lisa
    "babies sometimes go into snooze mode - I never heard it put that way but - YES!!! Snooze mmode can last a few days and you may struggle as I did to get your LO awake.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile View Post
    Yeah, it was kind of a horror for me. I was in labor from Friday night to Sunday morning, and saw several shift changes, ALL of which I told that I was ONLY breastfeeding in case my baby came during their shift. I didn't want to be seperated from her AT ALL during my stay. But because I had a c-section, I was, and sure enough they gave her formula before I woke up!

DF went along with it because they fed him some crap about her needing food immediately since she weighed so much. (9lbs+8oz.) Of course, now I know it probably really wasn't necessary, but if we were told by healthcare professionals that she needed it then, we of course wouldn't deny it.