Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding position tips?

Default Breastfeeding position tips?

My dd is 7 weeks old now, born 10/26 via c-section. Because of the c/s the nurses instructed me to bf in the clutch/football hold, which my dd took to just fine. However, now dd is getting so big and the clutch/football hold is difficult. I've been trying to transition her to cradle hold but she doesnt latch well in that position. Any words of wisdom/advice?? I bf only, so her and I definately need a position we can use for a long time (as she gets bigger). Thanks.

Default Re: Breastfeeding position tips?

Try side lying. It takes practice but is a life saver. Keep working at the cradle, you'll get it down. Best wishes.

Definitely agree with the nursing lying down. I could never get it right at night (which is when you need it the most!) in the first few months, but I also had a c-section and it was hard to move around like that at first. Then I tried it again when my son had better control of his head a few months later and it worked great! It's our new favorite position and I've pretty much forgotten about the boppy pillow.

You can use the cross-cradle to latch on, then while she is latched, you can move your arms so you are in a cradle hold. We did this for a while until my son would actually open his mouth on his own and keep it that way long enough to get him latched on using the cradle hold. Also, keep in mind (a LC pointed this out to me) that in the cradle hold your lo's head will probably actually be on your forearm rather than in the crook of your arm.
    Last edited by I-Man's Momma; December 20th, 2006 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep00p63.html

this link has some pictures

do you have a boppy pillow that makes it a little bit easier in the football hold.
    My dd would only take one of my breasts in the football hold untill she was a little bit older maybe 10 weeks and it took a lot of paractice.

Thanks everyone for the tips! Yes, I do have and use a boppy pillow. We spend a lot of time on the couch (it's like our little island, covered with nursing pillows, spit up cloths, diapers, etc, hahaha) and she's just getting so long for the football hold that she has to bend her knees to fit. We were trying the cross over hold/cradle hold last night, but it frustrates us both right now. She doesnt keep her mouth open long enough and then gets frustrated when I have to keep relatching her. We'll keep practicing though. I'll try the laying down position, but that wouldnt really be ideal for quick feeds (like during a lunch break or while shopping).

Keep at the cross then cradle hold. I did this exclusively, and it took a little while to get the hang of it, but my DS never grew out of it either!

Lisa

Practice at home!
    Also, go to a local LLL meeting if you can. Seeing other moms with different styles and ways of nursing can really help.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk