Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let 2 week old cry through the night?

Default Re: Let 2 week old cry through the night?

My son didn't sleep through the night until 4 months. At two weeks, it's too early. In fact, my doctor told me that for the first 2-3 weeks, I had to WAKE him up at least every 3-4 hours if he didn't wake on his own.

It's very hard. Sleep when you can. I know that I usually took 1-2 naps daily during those first weeks. Once the baby is older, you can start pumping and introducing a bottle, and your dh can take one of the night feedings. I had one friend who nursed her son at 10 pm. The dad took the 1 am feeding. She got the 4 am feeding, so she got about 5-6 hours sleep straight. I didn't do that, but my son usually only woke up 2x at night.

We didn't start the "cry it out" until about 7 months. He'd already been sleeping through, but started waking up again. At this point, your baby just isn't old enough to make it through, particularly if you are breastfeeding.

Smile Re: Let 2 week old cry through the night?

I agree with all the PP - but I just wanted to add a word of support. My LO is 2 1/2 months now and feeds at 12, 3am, 6am. It does get better and your body will learn to deal with the odd sleeping schedule with time. I was the type of person that Always needed a good 8 hour block of sleep or you did not want to deal with me. Now, my body has learned that short naps when my LO is sleeping can work just as well!

Best of luck and it will be better soon. Enjoy your LO b/c they grow so fast!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

That's the thing about lack of sleep....you WILL adjust. I am one of those that really needs sleep, or I get sick and can't function! However, I learned to adjust with my twins, and was "broken in" by the time my singleton came along.

My advice? Keep feeding on demand, don't just let your baby cry. Sleep when your baby sleeps. Take a shower to feel better...you'd be amazed at how much better you feel when you've had a shower! And, don't forget to have plenty to eat and drink. There's nothing that tires you out more than if you haven't had anything to eat and are dehydrated.

Keep doing what you're doing momma! You're doing just fine.

Lisa

I agree with all the other ladies! baby needs to know Mum is there whenever they need her and also babies need to eat frequently even at night.

I found the night much easier when I started to co sleep, we both slept more and I am sure my DD became more independant as she knows I'm there if she needs me. By 6 weeks I put her in her cot in her room because we were both geting less sleep by this time and she settled perfectly and then at 10 weeks started to sleep through from 11pm until 7/8am.

The first few weeks are exhausting but you will be surprised how quickly they go and baby will start to sleep for longer stretches. Put in the hard work now and you will reap the rewards not long from now having a secure, loved baby that can go to sleep relaxed knowing Mummy will be ther if he/she needs her

BTW it is thiought that babies are capable of sleeping through once they are 12lbs, my DD is 11lbs so if you think about your baby getting to 10lbs and they will sleep for longer stretches it gives you something to aim for

I am in a similar boat with you. I too have a 2 week old. Mine is crying just as yours and has the gas to add to it. I have learned a lot from these forums and the mothers here are so loving and helpful..take their advice.

My advice to you, being in the same situation, wake when your child calls. Sometimes they cry in their sleep and stop... wait for the sucking and hand throwing... that is when I know it is regarding hunger.. cries are not just for food.. Diaper could be needed, or just love from you.

I have noticed that it gets easier to wake up. I now nap when he naps and I feel better. I place my son in his boppy pillow and put him in the bathroom with me during wake time and shower... that is worth a million bucks... I have not tried the co-sleeping thing... I am afraid of that thinking I would hurt the baby during sleep.

My son will be 3 weeks Christmas and I am excited for the longer sleep time, as is my husband, but I don't suggest rushing this time. It is a bonding time and a time you will miss in the future. Make the most of it...

COngratulations on your new bundle of joy. i don't think a baby this young should CIO, i don't think CIO is a good solution at any age. Just my personal preference. i don't know if anyone suggested this yet, but if you are not a single mother, maybe you could pump and have someone give her a bottle for that night feeding. Its early to pump, but it might be a solution. I do this over the weekend with DH to get a few hours of sleep straight. i get his first night feeding well basically any thing til about 4:3o and then DH will get LO after that an i'll sleep for a little while. just a thought. i'm willing to bet your LO is hungry. My LO is 5 months and still gets up twice at night to eat and i usually think he is hungry not just waking up. good luck

Your baby is way too young to let him cry himself back to sleep. He doesn't know how to self-soothe, and he is genuinely hungry at this point. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you really need to go to him and feed him. Try to sleep when he naps during the day. Or you could pump and have your husband give a bottle of EBM, as long as you feel your breastfeeding is going well and there won't be nipple confusion. I did not start to reduce night feedings until my baby was about 5 MONTHS old, and she still eats once or twice a night at 6 months.

Hang in there -- it WILL get better.

And IMHO, CIO is the lazy man's method of parenting. Our kids need to know that we will respond to their needs at any time, not just during the day when it's convienient. Meeting their needs, whatever they are, throughout their lifetime will hopefully result in kids who come to us when they have problems later. I think CIO sets us up to not be able to do what our kids need, and the kids sense that and thus don't trust the parents like they should.

FYI, just because they are a certain weight doesn't mean they can sleep through and skip a feeding if they are breastfed. My first baby was 12 lbs at 2 weeks, no joke, and he was not able to go without nursing at night until he was about a year. My newest baby is pushing 13 lbs at 6 weeks, and he still needs to nurse around 3AM and 6AM. Cosleeping saved us with my first, and I can't imagine not cosleeping with my newest baby either, even though he's a really easy baby.

Just go with it, and it WILL get better
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Smile Re: Let 2 week old cry through the night?

I would have to agree with everyone else. The lo is just too young to go through the night missing a feeding. But do not worry you will get used to it. My lo is 3 weeks old and feeds at 12am, 3am, and 5am. By 3am I am up and ready for duty lol. I am still waiting for her to sleep through the night., But try to take a nap durning the day when the baby sleeps. That will get you back on track. Much Luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleyaeger View Post
    I really need to get my sleep and my newborn wakes me up in the middle of the night (which is totally typical). People keep suggesting to me to just let him cry through the one usual feeding that is in the middle of the night. I feel horrible doing this to a 2 week old, but I'm a new mom, should I do this so I get my rest? They say it won't hurt him and he'll cry himself back to sleep, but I just feel so bad doing this. What do you think? I really need my sleep!!!!!!!!