Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: kind of stupid ?

Default kind of stupid ?

What is it about having you AF that makes your supply drop? Are there certain chemicals in the body that tell you not to produce or to limit the production of milk?
    I've noticed this time around with AF that my dd is nursing every hour to hour and a half instead of 2-3hrs and when I pump in the AM that I only get 2-2 1/2 oz vs. 4-5oz.
    TIA!!
    Missie

Default Re: kind of stupid ?

This might be "kind of stupid", but what is AF?

I think she meant AM

if so, I notice that too sometimes

Alright - I now know what AF is (Aunt Flo) but what is AM (Aunt Menstrual)?

In the morning
    Sorry. I work in the medical field and I'm used to abbreviations.

I misread your original post. Now I understand the questions. ( I am not familiar with any of the acronyms ie. (dd, ds, dh, lo, ect . . .)).

Anyway, I just had 1st period since before my pregnancy, and I noticed a decrease in milk also. I think it may be due to a loss in fluids, not sure though. I am currently trying to increase my supply, I don't want to starve Sarah (6 mos)!!

I feel the same way with my daughter. She is nursing all the time But thats ok too.
    I have tried fenugreek for the first couple of days of my period to help with the supply, but have not really seen a change. I really do not like the taste of the Mother's Milk Tea. But I know that oatmeal increases the supply.
    Haley also eats solids 2x a day. Cereal in the am and some other bland food later in the day, but even though she still eats that, she still nurses very often.

Here's a link that talks about hormonal changes causes a temporary drop in supply. http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/menstruation.html

Thank you I-man's Momma! I was getting concerned about the decrease in milk, but at least I know this is normal. Thanks for the helpful info!