Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should one limit the time on each breast?

Default Should one limit the time on each breast?

Some women recommend this to avoid soreness and oversupply issues. What do you say?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Should one limit the time on each breast?

IMHO, your body is geared to follow your baby's lead .... it takes time to work out the "kinks" but, in the long run ... leaving your baby at the breast until they are satisfied gives your body the cues it needs to make the right amount of milk. Soreness and over-supply will pass ... your child's apetite will not. Just my two cents

In the early months, if the baby isn't nursing for really long periods of time, I would let the baby stay on one side as long as they want. Later on down the line, if the baby is still nursing on one side for 15-20 minutes, I would take them off, burp them, and offer the other side.

Thanks for your feedback! I think it will be less stressful to look at the watch and just go with what the baby communicates.

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

absolutely best to watch baby (and wet / poopy diapers) & not the clock - one of the big challenges the first few weeks is you LO and you figuring eachother out

i'm NAK or would add more ....
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I wouldn't limit in the beginning, either, just because it may take your LO a while to figure the whole breastfeeding thing out. In the beginning, it would take me an hour sometimes to finish a feeding session. Once my DS figured it out (and was also more alert), it took much less time. Best to do as the PP suggest and follow your baby's lead.

Lisa

nywifey, I am so impressed by your questions! I really wish I had realized how important all of this information was before my lo was born.

I wanted to recommend the LLL book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding", which answered a million of these types of questions for me. I know I couldn't have survived the first few weeks without it and my local LLL leader! Getting started can be rough but three months later I have to say that bfing is the most rewarding thing I have ever done.

The very best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Carla Rosebrock View Post
    nywifey, I am so impressed by your questions! I really wish I had realized how important all of this information was before my lo was born.

I wanted to recommend the LLL book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding", which answered a million of these types of questions for me. I know I couldn't have survived the first few weeks without it and my local LLL leader! Getting started can be rough but three months later I have to say that bfing is the most rewarding thing I have ever done.

The very best of luck to you!

Thanks Carla! I read the book a few months ago, but I still like to ask you ladies questions, since experiences mean a lot to me

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

LLL says finish the first breast first. Put baby on the breast and let him nurse until he comes off on his own or falls asleep. Burp him, re-offer the same side. If he refuses it, but still seems hungry, offer the second side. Start with the second side at the next feeding.

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!