Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is hummus too salty?

Default Is hummus too salty?

Quick question -- my 12-month-old LOVES hummus, and especially likes licking it off crackers. But is it too salty? I know I could make my own, but I'm sooo busy these days as I get ready to return to teaching, so I give him a healthy store bought variety. Hummus is a great source of veggie protein and chick peas have lots of iron, so I know its a good food. I just suddenly got worried about the salt aspect.

Also, I've been giving him Barbara's Wheatine's crackers, which I like because they're whole wheat and have no hydrogenated fat. He likes them a lot. But the tops are lightly salted. My local health food store doesn't have a salt free variety. Does anyone have recommendations on healthy low salt whole wheat crackers?

Annie

Default Re: Is hummus too salty?

I buy Annies bunny wheat crackers for ds. I don't know about the salt content inside but they are not salted on the outside. They are small like goldfish but actually are much harder.

I was wondering about hummus myself. I don't have an answer for you, but was eating hummus the other day and thinking, I wonder if Connor would like this. Now I was eating the Trader Joe's spicy version (yum!), so obviously that's no good, but I too was worried about salt in the regular version. I haven't seen a can of chick peas that doesn't list salt as an ingredient so even if I made it myself wouldn't it still have salt? In addition to Annie's question- how do you make a baby safe hummus?

Quote Originally Posted by freeresponse View Post
    I was wondering about hummus myself. I don't have an answer for you, but was eating hummus the other day and thinking, I wonder if Connor would like this. Now I was eating the Trader Joe's spicy version (yum!), so obviously that's no good, but I too was worried about salt in the regular version. I haven't seen a can of chick peas that doesn't list salt as an ingredient so even if I made it myself wouldn't it still have salt? In addition to Annie's question- how do you make a baby safe hummus?
    We use Eden Food's canned chick peas with no salt added. Our grocer has an entire section of salt free foods in the organic section. I also sometimes just buy bulk organic chick peas and cook them myself, although it is more time consuming.

I think the sodium content is too high in the regular canned beans, as well as the hummus. But spicy isn't bad! Too much salt is ... but Adeline actually prefers foods now that have more flavor and spice. She just ate black bean salsa yesterday and loved it! It's a myth that babies must eat bland, boring foods!

An infant's kidneys can't process salt like an adult's can. And adding salt to you little one's diet so young can lead them to crave it later on and could increase the risk of heart disease, etc. Here are a couple links regarding an infant's salt intake:

How much salt should babies have?

Salt Intake And The Health Of Your Children

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Haylee loves spicy foods too...she hates baby food, and I have been cooking her own for the most part. I put cinammon in all of her breakfast foods, and whatever spice we use in all of our dinners...she ate tacos the other night (and yeah, bad me b/c the salt content was probably too high)with salsa and jalapenos. She got a bit too much spice in one bite and made some funny faces but went back in for more. I think I would stay away from gassy foods until baby's tummy gets some experience with solids, but spicy foods don't necessarily mean gassy.

Annie...do you have a good hummus recipe that you use. I have never made it but I love it, and we can't find it here. I would love to make some and I bet Haylee would love it!

And...I need to do some salt reading!
    Last edited by @llli*moose; December 20th, 2006 at 09:52 AM.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Erin -- when I've made hummus in the past, I never really followed a recipe, just threw together the main ingredients in what seemed to be a reasonable combination, and kept tasting and adjusting until it seemed right. The ingredients include chick peas of course, tahini, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. I've mostly used canned chick peas, although I think maybe once I made it from scratch with dried cps, but it's a lot more time consuming. When I try next, I'll look for Eden's unsalted as Annie suggests! You can blend it in a food processor or mash it by hand (in this case, it helps to heat it a bit to soften the chick peas). I'll try experimenting and if I get the proportions right, I'll post my recipe. Or if anyone else has a recipe, I'd love to hear it!

I've given Jeremy several different kinds of hummus -- red pepper, veggie, baba gannoush -- and so far he has liked them all. I haved tried spicy yet, but he hasn't minded when our home made soups are on the peppery side. In general I sense that the more flavorful the food these days, the more interested he is in it. I just have to remember to keep "flavorful" distinct from "salty," wich is really hard with prepared foods.

Annie

bump
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!