Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long awake time

Default Re: Long awake time

The first weeks are rough. So many factors could be contributing to him not sleeping- discomfort, growth spurt, and just still learning night from day and how to sleep and such. It is possible that he is overtired with so little sleep. If he does fall asleep for a long period of time, I would not wake him. He might make up for some missed feedings when he does wake up but at some point he will probably crash and make up for all the lost sleep and I would let him. The more rested they become, the more easily they sleep in the long run. Your son is still young so maybe this does not apply but my DD actually will fight sleep harder when I try too long and hard to get her to sleep. I have been advised by other moms to try for a certain window of time- say 30 minutes or so- before giving up and trying for the next nap window (remember what shiloh's mom said- try to get them to sleep every 1 1/2 - 2 hours) In this time it might help to get outside or walk around or do something. Just a suggestion. It works really well for us.

Another random thought- in the beginning I was having some drinks with artificial sweetners in them from time to time. It took me awhile to figure it out, but when I would have them, my DD would have incredibly long periods of being awake. Sometimes she would be fussy, sometimes not. And not neccesarily nursing the whole time- just wide awake. One time for 16 hours straight. This is when I finally figured it out as I had had about 6 glasses of Crystal Light that day. Once I eliminated the a.s., no more problems. Easy as that if you can believe it. Just something to think about.....

Hang in there and good luck! Things will get better.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I have a sleep fighter too! I found out that she is mspi, once I cut the dairy and soy she became much better. Like epbrown we have to get the timing just right (i love the golden minute lol!!) My DD will go from smiling to moaning to crying in about 5 secs!

I'm sure age is a factor too. Once DD turned 8 weeks (only 3 weeks ago!) I suddenly found I could understand her more and she started to realise she felt much better if she napped in the day. Unforunately she is not so good at napping/sleeping in the evening but does finally go to bed for the night at 11pm until 7/8am.

I think when babies are first born they don't really know what they are supposed to do! Have you tried swaddling for naps? I don't swaddle my DD but put her in her snowsuit to nap outside in her pram and she now associates this with napping. Sometimes I only get her legs in the snowsuit and she has fallen asleep lol!! Swaddling is cosy for them and stops the startling reflex waking them up. Your LO will eventually asssociate being swaddled with sleeping.

Good luck, even a few weeks from now you will probably look back and think your baby has changed so much

Argh, so tired. He did his wide awake thing from 3 PM yesterday to about 815 PM. He finally fell asleep, but I was so drained and upset that it took me 2 hours to go to sleep. Thankfully the little man slept over 3 hours, so I got an hour or so before he woke at midnight to play the same game. I got him back to sleep by 2 AM, only to have him wake at 3 AM for another go at it. It's 830 AM now, he has drifted off a couple times, but fought it and woke back up. I put him in his bassinet @ 730 with his pacifier and said I'd leave him til 8 AM, if he wasn't sleeping, I'd feed him again. Of course, he wasn't sleeping. When I feed him I think hes getting gassy and then frustrated. i know he is exhausted, but just will not sleep. He wants to kick back for the reflux relief, but sit straight to burp, and lay flat to poop and pass more gas. Is this becoming a habit or will it pass? I can't survive much more of this, I'm getting so frustrated.

Here is a great link to The Miracle Blanket It is an AMAZING tool. We swaddled DS at night like this for almost 3 months. During the day we'd swaddle him like this if he got really fussy and didn't want to sleep.

It was almost like you could see him saying..."hmm, I can't go anywhere, I'm dry, full of yummy milk, and I'm tired"....and then he'd drift off to sleep very peacefully.

We kept things dark and quiet for him. We didn't put a mobile up in his room above his crib because we didn't want him to become overstimulated.

PM if you think you'd might like to try this and I can give you more info.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

He fell asleep around 11ish, and is still sleeping, its 2:30. He only got about 4 hours sleep last night, so should I let him sleep as long as he wants in hopes hes catching up? Or will that totally mess up his nights and days?

Lyn

My dd has been doing the same thing. She was awake from around 4 in the afternoon until almost 10. She was totally fussy unless she had the pacifier or boob in her mouth. She just did not want to let herself go to sleep. We finally swaddled her and she slept until 3 am.

Hang in there!

--Meredith

Hi danlynclark,

How's your LO doing? My LO was the same as she's up from 3pm till 12am sometimes, else, she's up from 9pm till 5am. In between, she sleeps like 10mins, or even 30mins and is up with wide open eyes.

That started when she was 2weeks even now at 5wks, at nights especially, she's up sometimes for more than 4hrs.

I guess you have to take it easy. It's very tiring and frustrating I know especially at nights when you're also tired and just want to fall asleep. Waking up to BF and trying to get baby to sleep, that was really tiring.

When BB is asleep, just let him sleep as he might be too tired. Same with mine as a paediatrician told me, baby needs to sleep in order to grow.

I feel your pain

Take care.
    Cheers
    Lina