Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long awake time

Default Long awake time

My 2 week old son is doing well with eating and sleeping, however, every day, for about two naps, he stays awake. He woke up at 330 PM today, and its now 7 PM and he's still wide awake. I've fed him, changed him, put him in his swing, fed him again, etc. Is he just way overtired? Why does it only happen sometimes (never at the same time). Just when I think I've figured him out....
    Lyn

Default Re: Long awake time

How many total hours a day does he sleep?

i wouldn't worry so much about what times he's awake and what times he's asleep...but i would try to focus on not letting him stay up for more than 2 hours at a time...watch for sleepy signs...eyes averted, darting back and forth, losing insterest in surroundings, ear pulling....babies can quickly become overstimulated and then wind back up and have a hard time going to sleep.

Our DS slept 20-22 hours/day for the first 3-4 weeks.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

around two to three weeks they begin their first growth spurt. Have you tried just keeping your baby at the breast longer? They usually start cluster feeding around that time anyhow.

Well hes at it again, hes in one of his awake spurts. He's been awake since about 4 am, and its now almost 6:30 AM. Last night he finally went to sleep @ 815. He woke @ 1015, 200 am, and then 4 am. I've been nursing him, no other stimulation. I cannot figure it out, other than perhaps its his reflux, because he will cry and whimper a bit while eating. But you'd think he'd fall asleep. We tried the swing last night, and he started dozing off, then opened his eyes and kept them wide open.
    I think hes out now, he pulled off my breast with his eyes closed. He fussed a little and almost woke himself up, but I shhhed him and rubbed his back. I think his reflux is waking him, and then hes too overtired to go back to sleep.
    Its so hard, because I worry that hes never going to get into a routine or sleep without me.

He is so young that I would just say "go with the flow" for now. He will sleep when he gets tired. My LO did that a few times and it was followed by very long sleeping bouts that worried me b/c she was not waking to eat. I was advised to let her sleep up to 6 hours. After a day or two she was back to a normal eat-sleep-wake cycle.
    Good Luck!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Yep, go with the flow. I know it's hard--you're sleep deprived, and you're at your LOs beck and call 24 hrs a day! This will pass, very quickly. It won't be long, and your LO will fall into a more reliable pattern.

Hang in there!!

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by marymud View Post
    He is so young that I would just say "go with the flow" for now. He will sleep when he gets tired. My LO did that a few times and it was followed by very long sleeping bouts that worried me b/c she was not waking to eat. I was advised to let her sleep up to 6 hours. After a day or two she was back to a normal eat-sleep-wake cycle.
    Good Luck!
    My lo did not and still will not just "sleep when she's tired" . I am sure there are babies that will do that, but we have to get her to sleep in the golden minute (there is one for us) and not a moment too soon or late . You will learn to read your lo very well, and this will pass. But, a rested baby sleeps better, so really try to read the signs Shiloh's Mom posted above.

HTH!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thanks for the words of encouragement. He really was uncomfortable and that was waking him. I nursed him and rocked him and shhed him through those painful spells he was having.

He's so difficult to read because he has reflux, so I find it harder to read his cues. He has been sleeping now for almost 2 hours. Should I let him sleep as long as he wants? I feel like I should wake him up to feed him. That way won't he sleep a longer stretch at night? I don't know anymore Everyone has such different baby experiences. I just wonder when my life will settle down. I pretty much spend all day in my bedroom with him unless we have a Dr's appt.

Lyn

Today he slept for about 5 hours max. 20 minutes this morning, 1 1/2 hours, then 2 hours, then about 20 more minutes tonight, and hes fighting sleep now. It seems to be getting worse and more frequent. He seems really tired but is just fighting it. I've fed him a lot, but I resorted to the pacifier now because it was a neverending cycle of feed and then reflux pain every 15 minutes. Hes sleeping in his bassinet now, we'll see how long for....
    Lyn