Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some encouragement... perhaps advice

Unhappy Need some encouragement... perhaps advice

Well my DS is 2 months now and BF has been going well... for the most part. This is the first time I was able to breastfeed (sadly, with my son I was too scared to do it.) I've been the only person in my family to BF for this long and I think my family is trying to get me scared enough to stop... or something. Everyone keeps telling me how when she starts teething it's going to be so painful to nurse and its almost possible to nurse during teething or once my DS has a set of teeth. But as I was thinking about it, women (before formula was invented or even now) are able to nurse regardless of teeth. I try not to let it get to me but, unfortunately it is... I'm scared about her teething! I used to be excited about the idea of her first tooth, but now im freaked out that she'll bite me or something...
    Any advice?

Default Re: Need some encouragement... perhaps advice

hmmm,
    what is a little biting compared to a lifetime of close bonding and love? And before anyone gets defensive I'm not saying you don't get that anyways, but with bfing its more phsyological.

I have a 2 1/2 year old still nursing DS...with a full set of teeth . Over the last couple years we have a had a few troubles with soreness from teeth grazing me or biting, but for the vast majority of the time it has been no problem at all. I believe that this is the case for most nursing moms who nurse past 6 months. Yes, there may be an occasional problem with biting or changed latch, but this is really just a learning process for mom and baby. It is generally not that difficult to deal with and passes fairly quickly. FYI--the baby actually CAN'T bite while actively sucking.

I think teething is just one more area that emphasizes the "relationship" part of breastfeeding. There's a bit of pain at times in any relationship, but we work through it, and you'll do the same as she gets teeth. My son is going on 11 months and has 7 teeth and we are still nursing. Yes, there has been some biting, but we got through it. Check back when she starts teething if you need some strategies to help the two of you. Great job for nursing without much family support!

I promise you by the time the teeth get here, the Bfing relationship will have already grown into such a beautiful, intimate bonding experience between you and your baby, the last thing on your mind will be QUITTING. You'll just be here looking for ways to deal with it. We made it thru my son's 1st two teeth with no bites. 2nd two no bites. By the time he started experimenting with biting me he was 8months old. I never thought "well that's enough" I only looked for a way to stop the problem. He still bites on occasion. He'll be one on Fri and I was just on another thread discussing how much different his latch is now that he has 8front teeth and two back molars. I feel his teeth. Quitting still hasn't entered my mind. In fact I am beginning to worry about how HE may be ready to quit before I am.... You have MONTHS before you have to worry about this! And if your the 1st person in your family to Breastfeed then why would you worry about ANYTHING That ANY of them have to say about it?? None of them know anything about it. Before long you will be able to speak to them as AN EXPERT and they won't be able to argue with you because you'll be the only one whose DONE IT. Don't let people who don't know the facts scare you. You're doing great. And like you said, long before formula existed women figured it out. So will you!

Way too lazy for formula

Yeah, what she said above!

I won't tell you that teeth and teething are problem free but honestly it is easier to work through than sore nipples, cracks, milk blisters, mastitus and yeast. Quitting seems like the obvious answer to outsiders who do not understand the breastfeeding relationship but when you're in it there is no sense in giving up all the positives just because you hit a bump in the road. You didn't quit driving just because you got a ticket, a fender bender or ??? All relationships have problems to be worked through from time to time and it is the same with the relationship with your baby. You will grow together and over time these issues are not going to be anything you can't work through.

Honestly for me I was always freaked out about having a sticky, snotty nosed, messy faced toddler on my boob but once I got there it never mattered in the least.

I used to worry about NIP in the winter too if I was outside but again it was nothing. My nip didn't get frostbite or anything

Just do all you can today and when you get to the next stage trust yourself and your baby that you will be ready. I'm sure if you look back a few months you had fears then too and you have overcome all of them and given birth to a beautiful healthy babe and established a wonderful nursing relationship! You've made it!!!

Try not to worry too much. My first lo got his first tooth at 3 months and had most of them by 8 mons. Everyone told me, well you won't breastfeed long now. I too was so scared. But, we stuck it out and only had a few incidences. Hang in there!

My son is 9 months old and has 6 teeth. He has bitten me exactly 4 times in the 3 months that he's had teeth.

I said "ow", pulled him off, and buttoned up each time. He now knows that if he bites, the food goes away.

My family is the same way. My son had a "nursing strike" for a week at 5.5 months. My mom said "maybe you should quit that", like I was some sort of freak. One of my friends nursed for 6 months, and said "see his teeth, you can't nurse after that!"

I think if you are dedicated to breastfeeding, you can overcome the challenges. Once I got past the first 5.5 weeks of bad latch, it's been smooth sailing! teeth and all.

The family thinks I'm weird. I'm okay with that.

Another point is that most babies get their first teeth around 6 months (some before, some after). Usually, those are the bottom ones, which are covered by the tongue as your LO nurses.

I nursed my DS until he had 5 teeth, and he only bit me maybe 5 times. Actually, when I think back on it, he bit me a few times BEFORE he had teeth, too. It didn't happen often, and I didn't stop because of it. In fact, when it did happen, I'd usually be so surprised that I'd gasp loudly. My DS got scared when I did that, so he stopped.

Lisa

If your family seems to be discouraging you- remember these facts. The American Pediatric Association recommends all babies be breastfeed until they are 1 year old and the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends until 2 years old- which is common all around the world, and those babies have teeth too!

My baby is only 2 months old and we have had lots of challenges (engorgement, thrush, pain lasting much longer than it should) but I really hope to be able to make it work for at least a year and since I'm armed with the facts I don't care what others may say, and actually see it as an opportunity to educate others about the many, many benefits of breastfeeding for as long as possible.