Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I giving DD enough solids?

Default Am I giving DD enough solids?

After checking out this WHO page on complementary foods that borislava posted in this thread started by veggiegirl228, I suddenly realized: I may not be feeding DD enough!

I hadn't even considered this...I've just been bf'ing and giving DD some food to play with or eat (her choice ) twice daily, offering two different items (e.g. oatmeal in the a.m., yams in the p.m.) She rarely actually ends up eating more than maybe a tablespoon or two's worth unless it's O's. According to the WHO page, she "should" be getting 3/4 C at each meal. At 9 months and counting, should I really be offering more? I mean, I know bm is her main source of nutrition, but am I actually going too slow with complementary foods? We do a mostly baby-led approach, but I'm not adverse to spoon feeding her some things, as with the yoghurt. What are you/did you do at 9 mos? What are you doing now, if your LO is a little older?

I feel fine about what I've been doing, gut-instinct-wise, but maybe I've missed the boat on this one? I would love to hear what others are doing and what they observe in their LOs regarding their intake of solids, etc.

TIA!

Default Re: Am I giving DD enough solids?

Follow your gut and your baby. If she seems satisfied, is gaining weight and is meeting milestones, you are doing a wonderful job and you don't really need to change anything. The only thing I will say is to make sure you are offering nutritious foods when you do offer them (and I'm sure you already are!), and at this point you can start to do a little experimenting, if you aren't already.

I'm going to bump up my thread that I wrote right around nine months...look for it!

Way too lazy for formula

Wow, if my baby ate that much, she'd pop! She's always been very petite and I don't think you can always rely on these tables....there are so many other factors, such as a child's body frame, metabolism, body type, etc. My daughter is 13 mos. and still needs all her fruits and veggies pureed as much as possible. Anything that doesn't slide right on down makes her gag. So according to this chart, she's not eating enough, nor is she eating the right textures. She's also on the tiny end of the growth charts, but she's got those cute, chunky thighs (which help to reassure me) and always seems satisfied and lets me know when she's had enough or wants more.

Listen to your baby. If you want to offer more, that's a good way of asking if she wants more.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Erin, thanks for the reassurance...I felt pretty right about what I've been doing, but that WHO thang surprised me. I definitely will start experimenting with some new varieties.

Shelly, thanks again for bumping up that thread. That's exactly what I wanted to read

Nola, I agree, Kesiah would bust at the seams if I tried to push all that food into her AND bf her on top of that! I thought it seemed like a lot, and it's good to hear that other babes, even older than K, are still eating far less than what was outlined on that page.

I'm still interested in what others have done at the 9 month mark, if you have some stories or insight to share!

my last two babies didn't realy start eating much solid foods untill they were 12 months old and had teeth and could feed themself..
    They are now 5 and 3 and very healthy.
    I don't think my dd eats a whole cup of food at a setting and she's 3. lol....
    She eats untill she's done and we don't force any more food.
    IF your worried just make shure that everything baby is getting is healthy!
    And she'll do just fine.

Thanks, Andrea. I totally agree, I see no reason to push any more than she's getting now. She's happy and healthy and enjoys the meals she does eat.

i just read that same thing the other day and got all freaked out!! today i very diligently put ds in his highchair and offered breakfast, lunch, and he just had a 'snack' lol! he eats noooo where near the amount they suggested. i went there looking for there recommendation to bf 'at least 2 years' but couldnt find it
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Yeah, 3/4 c of food at a sitting seems like AN AWFUL lot.....I regularly see the guidelines for feeding toddlers as a tablespoon of each food for each year of their age.

My DS didn't eat much solids at all at 9 months, either. And, if your DD was still hungry, she'd be feeding herself more, right? Don't worry. You're doing great!

Lisa

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

my dd is almost 10 months, but has been on the same eating schedule for about a month or so...

all times approx, there's no "official" schedule:

2:30 am = breastfeed, sleep

7:30 am = breastfeed

7:45 am = breakfast:
    1/3 of a small banana, cut up
    handful of O's
    part of my toast crust

10:00 am = breastfeed, sleep

12:30 pm = breastfeed

12:45 = lunch:
    tablespoon of rice or rice/lentils or pinto beans
    tablespoon of steamed veggie or avocado, cut up
    tablespoon of steamed or fresh fruit

3:00 = breastfeed, sleep

5:30 or 6:00 = breastfeed

6:15 = dinner
    1/4 cup yogurt with or without fresh fruit
    tablespoon of steamed fruit or veggie
    1/3 small banana, cut up
    1/4 piece of whole grain toast or a whole grain cracker

8:00 = breastfeed, sleep

11:00 = breastfeed, sleep

(breastfeeding sessions are usually 5-10 minutes... occasionally she'll hang out longer and snuggle/suckle during one of her "wake up" sessions)

so I guess her dinner is the only one that seems "on track" with the quantities of food suggested... she seems satisfied with what she gets during the day....