Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gagging. a lot

Default Gagging. a lot

okay I hate starting this thread but I am anyhow

I have read all the new (great) threads with regard to solids - and Dorothys thread on gagging/choking got me thinking. DS always gags - chokes at least once every other time we give him something. Even if it's mashed up. Well, let me clarify - he gags a lot- at least every time he eats something. Okay fine - that's what he's "suppose" to do. But it's the choking. Should I quit giving him stuf?? The choking is scary, for both of us and I am wondering if he will start to associate the highchair with getting wacked on the back... (and yes - I only do this when it's actauly choking.. no worries on this one)

suggestions? He really want to eat - badly. Should I just go for spoon fed stuff?

BTW he is super cute working on getting that dexterity in gear - the pincer grasp is emerging!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Gagging. a lot

Eme,
    Perhaps he's not ready...I thought the literature here (on the LLL website) said that things that signified readiness were the ability to sit unassisted and the pincer grasp. If he doesn't have the pincer grasp down how is he getting stuff to his mouth? How is the size of things being put in his mouth being determined?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Eme,
    Perhaps he's not ready...I thought the literature here (on the LLL website) said that things that signified readiness were the ability to sit unassisted and the pincer grasp. If he doesn't have the pincer grasp down how is he getting stuff to his mouth? How is the size of things being put in his mouth being determined?

he's been sitting unassisted for over 1 month now... and on some of the guidelines I've read that the pincer grasp is one of the 'signs' but in other places it's not one of them.
    The baby led links I have say to cut/portion into 'chip' sized pieces and that was not possible with the banana. The banana we third'ed he picks it up and gets it into his mouth fine w/o the pincer... we did lentils and he was just getting lucky with those as some would just stick to his finger he'd realize it was stuck and he'd get it in there. I dunno ...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Well I'm trying to figure out how he's choking. You said you definitely know the difference (I believe you )so I'm wondering how he's getting pieces large enough to block his airway in his mouth....Is he being helped?

Way too lazy for formula

helped? like someone feeding him? nah. he'll just pick up the piece, bite off a part and there you go!

guess we'llust stick to super tiny thing and wait for the rest

<nak>

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Well he's not choking on lentils right? And the 3rd of Bananas as you know is my "safe' standard....So what is it exactly he's choking on? And the gagging...some babies are just more sensitive to texture. Some kids are gaggers. But as far as him getting off more than he can handle, I'd just shorten the length of the width. So if the banana thirds aren't small enough what about the width and length of a french fry? Could he handle that? Still too long? Cut them so that he doesn't have more than an inch or two coming out the top of his hand. If he can't handle that he may not be ready...

Way too lazy for formula

how old is baby?
    Sometimes they don't loose that gag untill they are older 8-9 months..

Eme...I understand you concern with the choking! That is very scary! I wanted to reassure you that Haylee gagged with most things, at least once a feeding, until she was 8 or 9 months. Somewhere in there. Its not uncommon...its how they get the food to move from the back of their mouth to the front. If he is indeed choking, and it sounds like he is, you might try holding off for a bit. He really shouldn't be choking, if he is truly ready. I am not sure what else to tell you!

Thanks girls - I think we'll just stick to the smaller things, like lentils for now...

Erin - it's good to know that he's just not having some weird problem.

Andrea - he's 7 .5 mo.

Shelly - thanks I'm sure we just have to back off - Thank you for trying to help us

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Another thing to consider, is that with your particular baby, maybe you just need to keep a clos eye on how much he puts in his mouth. For example, banana thirds...if baby pushes a long length of a banana third in his mouth, he could actually choke, as banana(and lots of other foods) squish together and form a large glob after baby starts moving the food around in his mouth....especially in the beginning when they aren't chewing pros yet. In that case, I'd probably cut the thirds into pieces that weren't long enough to create a glob that could choke baby.

It could also be that self led feeding (according to the chip-sized philosophy) isn't for all babies. I read the literature in the links on this website, and it did seem like it hadn't been studied and researched by other independent firms yet, as the doctor wasn't sure that self-led would be appropriate for formula fed babies. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with the whole self-led chip sized philosophy, but that it might not be right for all babies, even breastfed ones. In this situation, I think you need to use your own observations of your baby and determine if this philosophy is working or not.

Another thing to consider, is that not all babies have teeth at the time they're ready to start solids, and while they can chew effectively with just gums, teeth are better for seperating up pieces of food within the mouth, and for biting off pieces of larger food. With gums, if a baby puts a large food item in his mouth and tries to bite off a chunk, the food either naturally breaks, or his gums squash it, and there's the potential that he could get a larger chunk than he bargained for.

For example, my oldest son would frequently fill his mouth full of food if you let him. I think he figured that if there was still room in there, that he should fill it and chew it all up at once and swallow. He did actually choke more than once, and I did have to help him get some of the food out of his mouth.

My youngest son doesn't do that too often, but I have noticed him actually choke and not gag on certain food items that were a little too large for him. He only has 1 tooth right now at 10 mos. old though, so he isn't really a pro at biting off exactly how much should go in his mouth, and many times, I think he may get more than he actually wanted.