Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 year old ~5th percentile - not interested in solids..,

Default 1 year old ~5th percentile - not interested in solids..,

Hi,

First of all, I apologize for a lengthy message...

My DD just completed her first year on Dec 9th and we came to know from her 12 months Dr visit that from 9 months to 12 months, my DD has gained only 7 oz. Now she is just above 5th percentile and weighs 18 lbs and 1 oz.

I started solids (cereals with BM) when she was 5 months old. But she was not interested and turned her face away whenever I approached her with spoon:-(. So I thought she was not ready and didn't want to push her. Even then I just offered her at least 2 times/day. But the problem is till now she is like the same and after just couple of spoons, she turns away.

I tried making home made foods like lentils + brown rice + carrots / beans/ broccoli, fingermillet+milk+pear but still the response was the same. If I distract her with some picture books or toys, I can make her eat 2.5 oz to 4 oz. But it takes easily 30 to 45 minutes to finish 4 oz.

Liquids: She is very much interested in drinking water from sippy cup or normal cup. But when it comes to BM or formula or cow's milk, she doesn't even drink 2 oz at once. I am breastfeeding her in the morning, evening and night which is the only best thing. As she doesn't eat solids well, I breastfeed her 2-3 times in the night.

I also tried to have her pick the food she wants to eat like cheerios, pieces of fruits, boiled egg yolks (now whites too). But after 2 bites, everything ends up on the floor.

Her pediatrician asked me to bump her calories up by giving her Pediasure 4 oz per day. I have been trying for the past 4 days but not even an oz is going down. I am totally frustrated and have no clue how to make her drink/eat solids.

Please kindly give me your input on

(a). what is wrong in my approach above and how should I handle her in drinking fluids/eating solids?.

(b). Is it ok, if I breastfeed her 2-3 times during the night?.

(c). Should I take a break and completely not offer any solids for few days and then start them fresh?.

(d). What are the other ways to bump her calories up?. Her ped says she needs 1000 - 1200 calories/day.

(e). Is there any way to increase her appetite?. Are there any foods which can increase her appetite?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Default Re: 1 year old ~5th percentile - not interested in solids..,

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!

OK. I'm no expert, just another mom. But, from what it looks like to me, maybe your LO just isn't interested in solids? This isn't a big deal, necessarily. Some babies just aren't that interested. Do you let her feed herself, or are you spoon feeding? I think you're OK to try different things, but maybe there's so many, that she's overwhelmed with the choices.

Here's my 2 cents on your questions:
    a) Skip the water and other liquids, for now. I wouldn't even give Pediasure. They're just filling up her belly with either no calories or inferior calories. If you're breastfeeding, offer the breast instead.
    b) Definitely OK to breastfeed at night. There's no rule that says you have to night wean by the age of "x" or anything. Besides, this is obviously giving her some much needed calories!
    c) Up to you. As I said earlier, maybe there are just too many choices. Pare them down for a few days and see what happens. This might help you find out what she really likes and dislikes.
    d) Not sure. I do know that breastmilk is really high in nutrients and many times, fat. Again, I wouldn't feed Pediasure.....that's just me.
    e) Try not to worry too much about increasing appetite. Is your daughter otherwise happy & healthy?

Another couple of points: did your daughter recently start moving a lot/walking? This could explain the slow weight gain. Could there be an allergy to something? I only list this, because a friend of mine had a child with celiac disease. He wasn't gaining weight, either, but he was also really tired all the time, and really didn't want to play. Activity level says a lot with LOs.

Lisa

Dd was 17 pounds at her 1 year a few weeks ago. She isn't gaining well and hasn't been, but our doctor is not worried...concerned, yes, but not worried at this point. She is more active, burns tons of calories and breastfeeds every 2 hours. I am with the pp...ditch the pediasure. I am of the mind that if all else is going fine developmentally then its probably a plateau. Doctors put way too much weight on charts, imho. My dd looks perfectly healthy, is meeting milestones, and is doing things other children her age are doing. But she is small. I think it is something to watch, but jumping to the conclusion of adding in something unnatural in hopes of weight gain at this point, just seems a little overreactive. I would watch it for another few months and see what happens, maybe you lo will hit a growth spurt.

Def. keep nursing on demand. This is one of the benefits to having a small baby...I know she is getting excellent nutrition even if she isn't eating a ton of solids, and its a great excuse to keep nursing.

As for what to add into her diet from the solids standpoint...my dd loves bananas mixed with avocado (I know it sounds weird but its a favorite) and cheese and yogurt. She also loves scrambled eggs, with cheese and yogurt. Yummy! Those are all high fat, high nutrient foods.

HTH...chinny up. Its hard when they aren't doing with the textbooks say they ought to be doing.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I completely understand how you feel. My son is 13 months old and is actually below the 5th percentile. He is incredibly active and is REALLY picky about his solids. One of the things that we found that works well is to give him peanut butter. He will eat that on graham crackers and then is obviously thristy afterwards. We offer cow milk right at that time and he gulps it just to get the sticky peanut butter out of his mouth. It is sneaky, but it works. He gets great protein, fat and calories from the peanut butter and even more calories from the milk. It really is somewhat of a fine art to figure out what your toddler likes or doesn't like. I feel like a short order cook more days than not. Just whatever you do, don't get discouraged. I breastfeed in the morning, before both naps and before bed. I am going to be weaning my son soon and I worry that the loss of calories will be even worse for his weight...but at the end of the day, my son is healthy, happy and very active. I appreciate my doc's opinion on my son's weight, however, I trust myself and my knowledge of my son more. Weight charts don't neccessarily apply to every child. Good luck!! You're not alone

dr sears has a bunch of good ideas on his web site about feeding picky kids.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/default.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030800.asp

surf around and see what you can find...

There's a book you may be interested in, "My Child Won't Eat - How to prevent & solve the problem" by Carlos Gonzalez. If you are a member of a local LLL group, it may be in the library.

My son also had a period of slow weight gain, and then he moved up to a more average weight. I think not all of our children have read and follow the growth charts!

I echo many of the sentiments of previous posters. As long as he's healthy, meeting milestones, etc. it all sounds fine. My son, though he's not small (20 lbs), only gained 1 pound between 6 and 9 months, 2 between 4 and 6 months, so even though he's put only nearly 12 lbs since birth (he's 10 months), 9 of them were in the first 4 months. The reason, he is sooooo active! He was also very hesitant about solids at first- took a couple months and he self feeds only- no spoons allowed! Only recently have I begun offering more than one food per sitting. Now I now all babies are different, but you never know... the magic food for us was butternut squash!
    Keep it up!

Thanks a lot for your time and response.

#2: I spoon feed her if it is pureed food and for others I let her feed herself. She has been suffering from severe cold, cough and congestion for the past few days and not interested in breastfeeding as well. I made her take steam bath to ease her congestion and kept humidifier in her room so that she can easily breastfeed. But she still struggles a lot and not taking the breast at all :-(. I hope it will be better once she recovers from her cold.

Yesterday, the only fluids that she took were 2 oz of orange juice and 2 oz of cow's milk.

Regarding the night weaning, her pediatrician asked me not to breastfeed her from 9 PM to 5 AM, as she doesn't need those calories nutritionally. Also feeding her at night will set the entire day time feeding cycle wrong and she will not be hungry, when she wakes up in the morning. " I am not sure how far the above is true ". But what is your opinion?

#5 : I tried giving her crackers with peanut butter and then milk. I could make her drink 1 1/2 oz of milk the very first time. I will continue to offer her the same. Thanks for the great idea/tip!!.

BTW, Please share with me any other food items that can make her comfortable during this tough cold/cough/congestion cycle?.

Thanks again for all your input.

Hi there! I'm sorry your LO is feeling sick! That definitely can decrease appetite. Regarding your original concerns, I'm going to past a link to a thread in which I talk about our story (look for the posts from llowe). I'm linking this to CONTRAST with your situation. It is my understanding that your LO eats a little bit of solids, but just not much, correct? Generally when that is the case, its not a huge issue. Your LO may just be not all that interested right now and just not that hungry.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...=oral+aversion

Regarding your ped's advice to nightwean--I've heard this advice before and it just doesn't make any logical sense to me. Wouldn't it be easier to take in more calories in 24 hours than in only 16? If you eat a piece of cake at midnight will you be less hungry for breakfast in the morning? I could see where not eating during the night could result in her eating more during the day than she was previously eating during those same hours, but I don't see why it would result in eating more OVERALL in the 24 period, KWIM? Some things I've read about nightweaning suggest only to do it if baby IS gaining well. When we were having weight gain issues with our DS, I waited to nightwean until he was eating and gaining well for the very reason that I wanted to make sure he could still get enough calories. Just my opinion.

The previous rec for avocado and bananas is a good one--my DS likes that too. Actually, a staple of his diet is avocado, bananas, and plain whole milk yogurt mixed together.

Sorry for my late response...

My DD is still down with cold symtoms. As it is a prolonged one (for more than 6 weeks), her ped asked me to give her Claritin. But her cough got very severe and she couldn't sleep at all. The cough was so frequent - almost 2 times in a minute last saturday. :-(. So we took her to urgent care. As her chest is clear, she has been prescribed a cough suppressant. She is sleeping better now.

During ouer urgent care visit (Jan/20), they weighed her and she was 17 lbs and 2 oz. She has lost almost 1 lb from her Dec/15 visit ( 18 lbs 1 oz) . :-(.

In the mean time, I contacted her ped regarding the weight loss of my DD. She has asked me to add

(1). Whey protein powder to milk or yogurt

and

(2). Almond powder to her pancake.

Has anyone tried giving whey protein to your kid?. How was the response?. As my DD doesn't drink much milk, I am also looking for other foods in which I can add whey protein.

How about adding heavy whipping cream to increase her calories?. I read the label and it says " 1 tbsp = 55 cal ". As it conatins only fat, is it a good idea to add at least 3 to 4 tbsp/day to her food ?. Any other ideas, please?.

I have a followup appointment tomorrow with her pediatrician. But I would like to know your opinion first and ask her ped, if there are any questions.

Thanks again for all your time and help.