Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting up a supply

Default Getting up a supply

I have been breastfeeding my LO exclusively. She is 3 months old now and I plan to go back to work 3 months from now. I would like to continue breastfeeding her until she is 1 year old but I know that this is unrealistic. (I generally work 12 hour days and it would be way too difficult to pump while at work. However, so long as I have some sort of supply, I could theoretically feed my LO in the mornings, in the evenings and on the weekends.) If I start pumping now, can I realistically build up enough of a supply to last me a least a month or so once I start work? What would it take for me to do this - pump the opposite breast every time I feed my LO? (At the moment, my LO generally only takes one breast per feeding. I do not give her bottles because I am always around her and it seems unnecessary.)
    Last edited by Vanzer; December 19th, 2006 at 12:09 PM.

Default Re: Getting up a supply

Ohh. I think if you start working on your freezer supply NOW and are diligent about pumping every day you could build a freezer supp for at least 3months! More if you actually have a separate deep freeze! Are you going to be unable to pump at all??? Where do you live? That seems illegal to me.
    But I alway had the most luck pumping 1st thing in the morning or when the baby missed a feed! !st thing in the Morning IME you can really really manipulate your breasts! That's when most women are naturally the fullest! And with dilligence I could get 3-4oz off each side. Which is essentially 2feeds. Now Beyond that if you aren't already experiencing this, this right around the time that most LO stomachs start to hold a little more and can go a little longer w/out food. Take advantage of that! So if you have been feeding your baby every 2hours or so, you may begin to see naps or awake stretches of 3-4hours w/out hunger. But your boobs are still ready to go every two. Now normally if you just stop feeding so often your supply will back up a little. But if you pump instead, even once or twice more, you can get that much more in a day. If you start pumping 12-160z a day right now, you could make it thru the 9month mark formula free. If you start to build your freezer supply right now and find a way to pump even once a day,(On a 12hour shift they HAVE to give you an HOUR lunch bread at least??) you could make it to the year mark. Good luck! HTH!
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; December 19th, 2006 at 12:33 PM.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I will do a bit of research on compact deep freezers to see if there is something out there that works for me.

Right before I went on my maternity leave, my employer created a special "lactation room" for breastfeeding mothers. The problem is that I am not sure that this is a realistic option for me. I am a lawyer and pumping 3x a day at work could be very disruptive (not to mention awkward). I will consider it seriously though - especially as I get closer to my return date. I just want to do the best I can for my LO even when I can't be at home with her!

Do you have an office with a door that closes? If you do - can you carve out some time to be able to close your door and get some uninterrupted time to be able to pump and work at the same time?

My office complex apparently has a lactation room, but I have a hard time taking breaks from my work so I've never used it. I've had good success pumping at my desk and using that time to get caught up on email. If the pump isn't too close to the phone (I use a head set) I've pumped through conference calls. I don't think anyone has noticed the sound, and if they do they probably think it's static or something. I can also usually get enough milk by double pumping 2x at work (baby usually only takes one breast per feeding) rather than the 3x it would be based on how often baby eats.

A must to be able to do this is getting a hands-free pumping device. Here are a couple of options:

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...ion+bustier.do

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...umping+band.do

Hope this helps!
    I also save time pumping at work by putting the pump parts in the fridge (in a plastic bag) between uses and then wash everything when I get home.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

there's a bunch of info on the web site about going back to work and pumping
    check out the new begingings links in the middle of the page they are written by real moms.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBworking.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpumping.html

so your baby will be 6 months when you go back to work...
    babies are pretty smart at that age she might just want to nurse alot at night to make up being gone from you all day.
    you'll figure out something that works for your baby and you.
    It might not hurt to call your local llll leader and talke to her about your return to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzer View Post
    Thanks so much for the encouragement! I will do a bit of research on compact deep freezers to see if there is something out there that works for me.

Right before I went on my maternity leave, my employer created a special "lactation room" for breastfeeding mothers. The problem is that I am not sure that this is a realistic option for me. I am a lawyer and pumping 3x a day at work could be very disruptive (not to mention awkward). I will consider it seriously though - especially as I get closer to my return date. I just want to do the best I can for my LO even when I can't be at home with her!
    Even if you decide not to buy a seperate deep freeze, you can get a lot in the freezer by using freezer bags instead of bottles to freeze. And think in terms of this....If you pump even just once a day and get 7-8 oz then you would feed your LO that fresh milk the next day, only have to use one freezer bag a day, AND keep your supply up while away from her! How long would your 3month supply last if you were only using it for partial supplements? LONG! Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula