Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: 2+ Weeks - still latch problems

Default Re: 2+ Weeks - still latch problems

Hi,

My BB is going on 3 weeks now. She's still having latching problems. I've tried many times and so far, only managed to latch on well less than 10 times.

As I had an emergency Ceaser, the nurses were told to cup feed her so I only tried letting her latch on the 2nd day. She didn't want to suckle then as there was no milk. I've been pumping and also trying to let her suck and milk flow is apparent now.

I've also tried the nipple shield but notice that BB is biting on to the nipple instead of suckling. People have also been saying that my nipples are "short" and this causes the BB to have difficultly latching on. Is this true?

I'm discouraged and also getting really tired. Im supplementing with formula when she's really hungry and doesn't want to suckle.

Please please help. I'm at my wits end. Nipples are really sore.

Thank you.
    Regards,
    Lina

Hi Lina
    I moved your question so that it has it's own thread

I'm sorry you're having such a discouraging start to breastfeeding, especially when you took such careful steps to avoid problems in the first place!

You should be able to breastfeed, even if your nipples are "short". The baby, when latched correctly, will latch to the nipple and areola, not just the nipple.

I'd strongly suggest you get ahold of a LLL Leader (see the link in my signature) or an IBCLC (www.ilca.org) to help you with the latch. It's hard for us to help you with latch here because we can't see you in person!

In the meantime, take a look at Dr. Newman's website:
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

There are several videos showing women latching their babies (I especially suggest the assymetrical latch). This is a non-LLL site, but Dr Newman is a respected breastfeeding professional who is often referenced in LLL material.

Hang in there!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the reply and encouragement. I'm not giving up yet but there are certainly times when I really just feel like pumping and bottle-feeding it.

I'll check out Dr. Newman's site. There are indeed useful articles and will watch the videos. Hopefully that will help too.

You're right. Latching on is physical and I'll try to scout and see if I can get any help where I am, that is in Malaysia as LLL doesn't have contacts here.

Thanks once again and I'll definitely come back to this site to get more support and assistance.

Wish me luck!

Cheers
    Lina

Hi Lina, and congratulations on your new daughter.

The LLLI website is being obstinately slow for me right now, so I just googled "Malaysia breastfeeding" and came up with the following link:

http://www.ibufamily.org/lll.html

I cannot recommend this as a LLL Leader because I know nothing about the organization it represents ... but if as mentioned it is run by a credentialed IBCLC, then this might be a starting place for you.

Good luck and keep us posted! I hope things improve for your breastfeeding relationship very soon.

Dear sister have you tried taking a nice soothing bath with your baby? They enjoy lots of skin to skin contact, and sometimes your baby will start to root around and latch on. They also have a herb that can stimulate milk production, I'm sure someone else will post it becuase I don't know the name of it.
    Don't give up yet! It will get better!!

I feel your pain - my daughter didn't start to get the hang of it for close to 4 weeks, and at 6 weeks we still have issues sometimes. Dr. Newman's site is very helpful, although the women in his videos have huge nipples and tiny babies - I have a huge baby and tiny breasts/nipples. I don't care what anyone says - it does make a difference. Her size makes it hard to hold and position her correctly, and then there is the boob factor.

I also have "short" nipples. Also, my breasts were small to begin with, so when I am engorged the skin is stretched so tight that it is like she is latching onto a basketball. I usually pinch for the first several minutes to give her a better grip - it gets easier for her as I soften up. I recommend that you get rid of that breast shield a.s.a.p. I have heard from more than one mother that it was the "kiss of death" for their breastfeeding experience. It takes the patience of a saint, so try not to get discouraged. But to still have issues after only a couple of weeks is not uncommon - it is still early in the game.

I actually had a semi-nervous-breakdown at the 3 week point, and my husband convinced me to pump so that he could give her a bottle. She was sucking air and throwing up after every feeding at that point, and I was at my wits end from pain, stress and lack of sleep. She took the bottle like a champ, and we have been using both ever since. She actually bottle-fed exclusively for about 2 days because I was such a wreck about the breastfeeding, and that allowed me to re-set my mind frame. We are back to breastfeeding most of the time, but I am pumping, and she gets a bottle a couple of times a day from her daddy, or from me if we are out and about, or if I have a glass of wine.

This is what has worked for us. I know that introducing the bottle so early will not be a popular option in these parts, but I did what I needed to do and she is doing great. It gets easier to breastfeed as her mouth gets bigger, and she is learning better behaviors. I have a book that says "breastfeeding is a confidence game," so don't undermine yourself. You are in good company.

Good luck to you!

Hi Rebecca, carpentergirl & MelissaandEvie,

Thanks for sharing. I'm using the nipple cream Bepanthen now as it was bad and I had some skin peeling after BB finish sucking.

I'm still trying to learn to help her latch on properly by going on Dr Newman's site and also learning from experienced mummies )

Yes, I agree with MelissaandEvie that the nipple shield sometimes brings more pain. But sometimes, my BB girl just doesn't want to suck and with the shield, she latches on a little better but still "bites" on my nipples.

MelissaandEvie, I know, my mum and MIL and some others who has seen my nipples (it was unnerving to breastfeed in front of ppl) keeps insisting it's short and that is causing BB difficulties to suck/latch. The videos on Dr Newman's site, the ladies have really long nipples. BUt then again, I'm sure not everyone has nipples that length and I'm also sure they were able to successfully breastfeed their babies.

I'll persevere and hopefully she starts to learn and adapt. Over here, I've visited the http://www.ibufamily.org/lll.html where the LC is Christine Choong. I've been in touch but she's not able to come by for a house visit as she's busy.

Thanks all once again! This site is certainly really helpful and provides the comfort and support that mum's need.

Take care all!
    Cheers
    Lina

I had a real rough start myself, and managed to take it day by day. Don't expect it to happen overnight, it takes a while for mama and baby to know eachother. hang in there!

Hi All!

My DD is latching on much better now. I'm totally off the nipple shield and not been pumping for a week plus now.

I think she's slowly learning to suckle but gets lazy when the milk is not fast enough.

Is it normal for my breast milk to trickle from the nipples when I squeeze the aereola and not "spurt"?

She seems to be needing more milk now and just want to know if I'm producing enough for her.

Thanks again for your support.
    Cheers
    Lina

Its totally normal for breasts to leak out slowly. fyi they never fully empty out !(LLL moderator told me that they still have about 25% more left in them even when they seem flat) Your girl will go thru a growth spurt probably at around 3, 6 and 9 weeks. They do alot of demanding feeding during this period. My boy didn't let me sleep much until I learned how to sleep with my nipple in his mouth. It was difficult to master the art of co-sleeping. I had no one to show me and I was confused.
    Are you co-sleeping?
    Seems like your baby is doing well, how are YOU feeling?