Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Is my baby going hungry?

Default Help! Is my baby going hungry?

Hi,

Its been 10th day since he got viral infection. My son is 8 months old. He goes to day care. Last friday he had viral infection. He started rejecting bottles since Friday and he is still not taking them at all. We have tried sippy cups, normal cup, bowls to feed him, but a couple of sips and thats it.

I have been nursing him on demand, but I dont have enough. When i pump, I only get close to 15 ounces(if I am lucky). You would think, all this nursing on demand for last whole week would have increased my supply, but NO! I dont see wet diapers. Only time his diaper is really wet is when he wakes up in the morning. Otherwise they are as heavy as 1 ounce...He does not cry, he is very active and looks happy and satisfied with whatever he is getting. He is taking some solids, but not too much.

Today I am back at work and constantly worrying about him not eating enough.

So, here are my questions -

1> How wet should be baby's diaper during the day if I change it every 2 hours?
    2> Is there any other way to feed him?

Thanks to all moms..

-sdb

Default Re: Help! Is my baby going hungry?

You should be looking for 5-6 wet disposable or 6-8 wet cloth diapers in a 24 hour period.

Pumping isnt a good indicator of milk supply. Also, keep in mind that most jarred baby food has a lot of water in it.

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. If I am using disposable diapers, how heavy should they be approximately? Will it be close to a diaper on which I poured 3-4 ounces of water? Is everything he is getting coming out? Forgive me if I sound stupid, but I dont know "wet" means how wet..

-sdb

Not sure how heavy they should be. For what it's worth, though, when my DS was EBF, he actually had fewer wet diapers. I'd only change him about 3-4 times a day (he wore disposables). Now, I can't go more than 2 hours without changing him. For the record, my son gained weight very quickly.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned; at the same time, though, if he's been feeling rotten, he may not feed as often. Call your doctor's office and speak to the nurse if you are really concerned. Sometimes those nurses can really put your mind at ease without you having to haul your child in to the office.

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by sdb View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. If I am using disposable diapers, how heavy should they be approximately? Will it be close to a diaper on which I poured 3-4 ounces of water? Is everything he is getting coming out? Forgive me if I sound stupid, but I dont know "wet" means how wet..

-sdb
    I found this:

An easy way to feel the weight of a wet disposable diaper is to pour 2-4 tablespoons of water in a dry diaper.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

When you change him, is the urine really dark, smelly, or concentrated? That would be cause for concern.

You might want to get a baby scale. We weigh our baby every few days to be sure she's getting enough. (Although people say you should only do it once a week so you don't go crazy!) And we also weigh her diapers sometimes to check on the output--those Huggies are so absorbent you can hardly tell what's in there!

This is our scale--same brand my LC uses:
    Healthometer Teddy Bear Scale

Hope that helps!

Hi sdb,

I just want to make sure I understand your concerns, so I will reiterate what you said and you can correct me if I am wrong.

You ds came down with a viral infection and since Friday he has not taken EBM at day care. Is this right?

You pump 15 ounces a day for him. He is not taking it. Is this right? Are you freezing it?

You nurse him at home on cue and he nurses happily and comfortably. Is this right? Does he nurse throughout the night? About how often in 24 hours?

He will eat some solids. Does he take them at daycare? How much? At home with you?

Your concern right now is is urine output, right? You mentioned that he wakes up very wet in the morning. Does he nurse at night? (I know I already asked this.) What about bowel movements? Have they been regular for him?

For older babies there is a wide range of normal for output. As they get older their bladder size can increase, making them able to hold amounts for longer.

Have you tried the sippy cups with the straws in them? Some moms use those with success.

Also, have you heard of reverse cycling? Babies who are separated from mom during the day for work will often take all of their needed milk during the evening and night hours that they are together, and then not take EBM during the day for the caregiver. This works fine for many moms/babies.

I also wanted to clarify your concern about not having enough. Do you think you don't have enough milk because you only pump 15 ounces or because he is not urinating enough? Those two are really separate issues. I would hate for you to think you did not have enough milk because of what you are pumping. It sounds like you are making enough for what he needs. But the urine concern could be something else.

If you are truly concerned about ds possibly being dehydrated the best thing to do would be to call the ped. and ask to have him checked for signs of dehydration. This might ease your mind!

Hi Kate,

Wow, Thanks a lot for replying.

1> You ds came down with a viral infection and since Friday he has not taken EBM at day care. Is this right?
    -I did not send him to day care for that week. So, I was nursing him during the day and at night whenever he wanted. SOmetimes constantly thoughtout the evening.

2> You pump 15 ounces a day for him. He is not taking it. Is this right? Are you freezing it?
    -I pump around 6 ounce during day at work and 6-7 ounce at night if he sleeps through the night which he used to do before he got sick. SInce he got sick, I never pumped until yesterday when I joined by at work.

3> You nurse him at home on cue and he nurses happily and comfortably. Is this right? Does he nurse throughout the night? About how often in 24 hours?
    - When he was sick he was nursing sometimes every hour during day and 2-3 times at night. When he goes to day care, he nurses only 2 times durnig day and whenever he wakes up at night.

4> He will eat some solids. Does he take them at daycare? How much? At home with you?
    - He eats solids 2-3 times during the day. 2-3 tables spoons at a time.

5> Your concern right now is is urine output, right? You mentioned that he wakes up very wet in the morning. Does he nurse at night? (I know I already asked this.) What about bowel movements? Have they been regular for him?
    He nursed 2-3 times at night when he was sick. He has one bowl movement per day. It is pretty regular.

For older babies there is a wide range of normal for output. As they get older their bladder size can increase, making them able to hold amounts for longer.

6> Have you tried the sippy cups with the straws in them? Some moms use those with success.
    No, I will try that this weekend.

Also, have you heard of reverse cycling? Babies who are separated from mom during the day for work will often take all of their needed milk during the evening and night hours that they are together, and then not take EBM during the day for the caregiver. This works fine for many moms/babies.

7> I also wanted to clarify your concern about not having enough. Do you think you don't have enough milk because you only pump 15 ounces or because he is not urinating enough? Those two are really separate issues. I would hate for you to think you did not have enough milk because of what you are pumping. It sounds like you are making enough for what he needs. But the urine concern could be something else.
    - This might be long answer..When he was born, he lost weight in first 2 weeks. So doc asked to pump and then supplement with formula. I did that for month. Then I started nursing him directly and supplementing after that because he always looked hungry and I was afraid that he will get dehydrated. Do, thats what I have been doing until now. Nurse him and then feed him with bottle, EVEN IF I AM AT HOME. How frustrating!

I pump 15 during day and night. When I come home in the evening, I nurse him and then bottle feed whatever BM I pumped during the day. In the morning, when he wakes up, I nurse him and bottle feed him whatever I pumped during the night. If thats not enough, I HAVE to give him formula. Also,since I dont pump enough, he eats only formula at day care. It breaks my heart to feed him with bottle when I am at home, but cant help. So, when he got sick and would only nurse, I felt great in a way, but also sad that he might not be getting enuogh.

So, thats why I think I dont have enough for him!

-sdb

Thanks for clarifying. I think I understand better now!

Have you been working with a local LC at all? It would be helpful for you to have someone local if possible. Maybe the local hospital has an IBCLC on staff, or maybe you could find a local Leader to discuss this with further. Anytime you are setting up a plan to eliminate supplements it is important to work with someone, as I'm sure you know!

It sounds like your ds knew exactly what he needed when home sick with you for that week! That is great! Just because you are not pumping tons more milk does not necessarily mean your supply didn't ramp up.

The only way to know if he does not need the supplements anymore is to slowly stop offering them. It sounds like he has flat-out refused them, which is another way to find out! You may be at the point where you can eliminate them and see if he continues to do well (output and growth). Again, this would be the time to include your ped. in this. Let him/her know that ds is refusing all supplements and you are thinking that maybe exclusive BF is going well, but you would like him checked to make sure he is properply hydrated. This is especially important to do after the illness he had.

In any case, you are doing really well, and you should be proud with how things are going. Good job!

Thank you very much everybody for taking time to reply to me! I will try things you have mentioned.
    -sdb