Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 7 week son doesnt latch on properly yet. Help me

Default My 7 week son doesnt latch on properly yet. Help me

I need help, my first baby is 7 weeks old now, n still I am suffuring from sore nipples, my nipples come out from his mouth misshaped and flattned. He makes clicking sounds and I can see dimpling while he is suckling, also he latchs on with his upper lip flangged out. All of this poved to me that he is not latched on properly.

actully, right after birth he had breathing problame, so they didnt allow me to breast feed him, he was fed with the bottel for 3 days. When I brough him home he refused my breast, only on ths 7th day he gave up, during that period I fed him with a spoon. Anyays, so he wasnt a good feeder from the begnning and it seems that I also didnt teach him how to latch on properly.

Right now I am tryin to use the Sandwich techniqu to teach him to open wide and latch on properly, but its too dffuclt, its hard to get hold of his head, he is much stronger now, also he grasps my breast befoer I latch his lower lip before his upper lip.

Plllz help me, I just dont know how to teach him at this point, this is very frustrating.

Default Re: My 7 week son doesnt latch on properly yet. Help me

do you have a local leader you can call?
    They can help in person beter then we can on line.
    Sometimes it just takes babies and mommies a while to figure things out.
    Are you still using a spoon? or bottles?
    The most improtant thing is to feed the baby.
    What are his wet diapars like in a day? poops?
    Weight gain?
    clicking sounds can mean tounge tie, did your doctor check him out for that?
    A lc would maybe be a good idea also since your having problems.
    They help mothers that have problems with feedings.
    And sore nipples could be thrush, did you have anti-botics in the hospital?

Thanks for the reply...well, he is exclusivly breastfed now, he is gaining weight well, he is a healthy boy. But he takes a loong time to nurse, like 45 minus n sometimes longer. and No i dont have thrush, I had a cracked nippel n treated that.

Actually he dosent open wide, and using the sandwich method dosent seem to be working out for me, can you tell me what method can I use to make him latch on properly.

Regarding your suggestion for meeting a leader, thats I am working on..I think thats the best thing to do.Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Noora_z3 View Post
    He makes clicking sounds
    This is perfectly normal in some cases for some babies. The clicking can mean that they are using their tongue to control the strong flow occuring during your let down.

also he latchs on with his upper lip flangged out. All of this poved to me that he is not latched on properly.
    Actually - the upper lip SHOULD be flanged out.

Right now I am tryin to use the Sandwich techniqu to teach him to open wide and latch on properly, but its too dffuclt, its hard to get hold of his head, he is much stronger now, also he grasps my breast befoer I latch his lower lip before his upper lip.

Plllz help me, I just dont know how to teach him at this point, this is very frustrating.
    I had similar problems with latching my son on in the first few weeks. I made an appointment to see a LC and things have been great ever since. She showed me how to hold my breast into the right shape to fit my babies mouth. For example, when feeding my baby in the football hold, it is easier to cup your hand into a C shape (holding on the left side of my breast with my right hand, when feeding him on the left breast etc.). This makes the breast the same shape as your babies mouth when feeding from this direction.

When feeding my baby in the cross cradle hold, I hold my breast in a U shape. This fits the direction of his mouth better.

It took me a long time to get it, and honestly, practice makes perfect. Each time his cheeks are dimpled and there is a gap at the corner of her mouth, make sure that you delatch her and put her on again. Use Lanolin in between feedings, this helps to heal sore nipples after some time, however correcting the latch is the best way.

Good luck with scheduling an appointment with a LC!

my 7 week old will nurse for over an hour at times. his upper lip is flanged when he's on really good. hth

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelleann View Post
    Actually - the upper lip SHOULD be flanged out.
    oh sorry, typing mistake, i meant to say flanged in rather than flanged out.

thanks a lot, its good to know that others had similar problam, i thought i was a lousy mom. n thats its too late to change anything now.

by the way, when u say in cross cradel position u shape ur breast U with ur hand, do u then move baby's head towards the breast?

by the way, when u say in cross cradel position u shape ur breast U with ur hand, do u then move baby's head towards the breast?
    Yes - always move the babies head in to your breast - don't move your breast to the baby. I hold my son's head gently around the back of his neck like a loose collar.

And I accidentally got the directions wrong above. I meant to say that eg. when feeding on the left side, I hold my breast with my left hand, and my right hand supports my babies neck and pulls him in when I'm positioned correctly. Sorry if I confused you earlier!

Also - have you tried using a nursing pillow? This helped me enormously to get into a good nursing position. I started out using My Brest Friend, and now use the Boppy pillow. They are great, and a worthwhile investment if you don't have one already.

Hope this helps!

Try dr.sears web page, and look at the diffrent latching techniques! I thought they were really interesting.
    hth
    serena
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html