Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quicker pumping?

Default Quicker pumping?

I pump 3x/day while at work. The amount that I pump is fine (16-19 oz/day), but I'd like to make my pumping sessions quicker. I don't have a problem with let down, but it takes about 30 minutes before milk is no longer coming out. I am doublepumping using the PIS. Any suggestions?
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Default Re: Quicker pumping?

Not to ask the totally obvious question, but here goes... do you get your hands in there and massage and kind of hand-express at the same time as you are pumping? I've found that this speeds up the works quite alot! Also, I've found that hand expressing after I've done the bulk of what the pump will pull lets me get - quickly - another good bit of milk... just a thought. Good luck!
    jsmom

I found that the Ameda Purely Yours is a much stronger and faster pump than the PIS, much less expensive ($125-150) too. With a PIS I have it turned up to the max 5 min into session, with the Purely Yours I usually only get 3/4 way up, the highest suction level it too much for me.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

I'm struggling with the same issue but I have already done one thing that helps: I bought Flexishield adpators for my Ameda Purely Yours. They allows me to turn the suction up to the max without pain.

I also bought a special bra (Made by Moms) for handsfree pumping. I am not yet back at work and have only used it once at home so far. I'm hoping that by freeing up my hands, I can really speed up the manual expression part of it, working on both breasts at once instead of just one at a time (with the other hand holding the collection kits).

Good luck!