Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Crying and fighting at breast

Default Crying and fighting at breast

Today my 4 month old DD started fighting me at feedings. The first 2 of the day were normal... since then it's been very stressful. I'm pretty sure she's hungry, but as soon as I put her to my breast, she starts crying, screaming and fighting me. I've tried changing positions, gave her a bath. She did eat again, but I basically held her there for a minute until she took my nipple into her mouth (I'm not trying to force feed her, but she has only eaten a total of five times today, which is very unlike her normal 8 or so). After that, she nursed as usual, about 10 minutes. Is this normal? Is she not needing as much? She doesn't take bottles very often, so I know it's not nipple confusion. She's otherwise very happy and acting like herself.

I'm just worried that she isn't getting enough hydration. Her diaper output has been good so far today, but tonight when she goes to bed she will probably sleep through the night and not eat until the morning. Am I being a freaky worry-wart? Is this just a phase that's starting? Is it OK that she goes a day or two without eating as much as she normally does?

Default Re: Crying and fighting at breast

That's the problem I had with my daughter about a week ago. Every time I would try to feed her, she screamed her head off! Since then, I just started feeding her further apart. She's gone from 9 feedings a day to only 5. I'm worried too that she's not getting enough, but her diaper output is good, and she appears to be happy and healthy. I'm glad I'm not the only worry-wort out there!

Hmm.. same situation: 14 week old (+ 3 months) is now crying and fighting at the breast. I have to clamp him down. He fusses, nurses, and passes out to sleep. I hope that someone with experience can let us know what it is.

Thank you!

Maybe she doesn't need as much to eat? I'm at a loss. My sister's baby is 5 weeks older than my DD. At his 4 month appt. her ped told her that he probably only needed to eat every 4 hours (which seemed low to both of us). But maybe for my DD she's starting that? Also, tonight when she went to bed, she did NOT want me to rock her. I put her in her crib and she just made some noises (not crying, just a little noisy) and then went to sleep on her own. The last 2 nights she was fussy at bedtime, I wonder if she wants to put herself to sleep? I cried when I came downstairs and told DH that she didn't want me to rock her. Of course, he told me to enjoy it!

Just when I think I have her figured out, she throws me for a loop.

I have a 3month old doing exactly the same thing since yesterday.
    I gave him a bottle of EBM this morning because I was going crazy he wasn't eating enough???
    Not much advise, but may be it's just normal for babies to have days were they just don't want to nurse.

sounds like nursing strikes to me.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBstrikes.html

heres a very short link about schuduling.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/schedule.html

its normal sometimes for baby not to want to nurse theres lots of reasons why. Don't think its because they don't need you anymore.
    If you have sore nipples the baby might have thrush that can make nursing painful for them.
    sometimes as they get older they just get very distracted when trying to nurse, nursing in a dark quiet room and not talking or singging can help.

Some babies are very sensitve to smells and don't like it if you smell funny or try an new soap.

I have had a number of similar experiences and had hoped that I would not face a strike again. But my DD is 6 months and just today refused the breast again for the first time in months. In the past I was usually able to coax her to nurse by walking and swaying with her. But this time she wanted no part of it. As soon as I stopped trying to her nurse her she calmed down, and didn't seem all that hungry. My MIL gave her a bottle of EBM at 12:15pm, but she hadn't eaten since 7:45am (when she last nursed). That's a really long time between feedings! Anyway, I can sympathize with everyone. I always get that fear in the pit of my stomach, like after all this hard work (she's been a BF challenge from day one!) she is going to wean and I will be so heartbroken! She does seem really distracted and super-energetic lately, like she has ants in her pants. While she's nursing she grabs my face, my clothes, her clothes, and slaps her hand on her leg and whatever else is around. As soon as she's done she tries to roll away or sit herself up. She's barely 6 months, no solids yet. Isn't it too early for her to stop BF??? I also wanted to express my sympathies regarding dealing with changes. (re: the no rocking at bedtime) Just when I feel like I have a handle on this motherhood thing, she changes again. Some days it's exciting and fun. Some days it's discouraging and scary. Today is a sad day for me, but I know it will get better. Love to all!

Hang in there mamas! Believe it or not, you actually get used to nursing your highly distractable little one who is wiggling all over the place. And then, about the time you are good and used to it, you suddenly notice that they will actually nurse calmly again (months later). One thing that helped us was that I or my husband would get my son to sleep, then I would nurse him. This ensured at least a few good nursing sessions a day and helped me to keep my sanity.

EmmaLeigh, yes, 6 months is too early to wean on her own. Try to roll with the punches. You'll get through it. (The nursing antics sounds just like my son at that age and he's almost 11 mo now and nursing as much as ever!)