Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Caught the Flu, lost the Milk

Default Caught the Flu, lost the Milk

Hello everyone, I am new here and know that you can help me if anyone can.

Friday I caught a severe virus and was vomiting and diarhea non stop until today (Monday)... I ensured that I nursed my 8 month old every opportunity in order to get whatever antibodies I could provide and then had to give supplemental food and formula as my milk declined and then VANISHED I am sure it is due to dehydration, yet I am still FAR below where i need to be for his needs. It happened so rapidly that it really threw me off guard.

I have had difficulty with production in the past and used Fenugreek 3 pills X 3 times daily back then as well as pumping I have the Pump in Style Advanced (told it was the best, other than hospital grade) The only problem is I can't pump every 3 hours at work like I was before. I was able to negotiate a great reduction in my work hours and load which includes coming home to feed the natural way once a day, so I really don't want to push the issue too hard with added pumpings as well.

So my question is; is the Fenugreek going to be enough? What can I do other than herbal supplements if anything?

Is this something that will happen everytime I get ill? I am just thankful that he hasn't caught this as well

Default Re: Caught the Flu, lost the Milk

Sorry to hear you have been ill. That is NO fun.

Every mom experiences different things with illness and BF.

Most find that with increased feedings their supplies will be back up. If you can't pump anymore at work you can do so at home, in addition to nursing ds. Any increase in 24 hours will help. It doesn't necessarily have to be spread evenly throughout that time.

You did the right thing, nursing as much as you could through the illness. Hopefully things will turn around for you soon.

Default Re: Caught the Flu, lost the Milk

Thanks so much for the reply Kate I definately noticed a bit of an increase today and will be doing all I can to increase it back to normal levels.

Thanks Again
    Tiffany