Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pacifier Question

Default Pacifier Question

The public health nurse I talk to says my son is old enough for a pacifier now and it won't give him nipple confusion or impede my trying to increase my milk supply. This would probably help with a lot of the fussing during the day.

He is gaining well so I'm not worried that he won't let me know if he's hungry or not, but...

My LC on the other hand would rather I did not offer a pacifier. She thinks I can offer either my finger if I am available or the breast to suckle on and that will stimulate them enough to help increase my milk. Any second opinions on this?

FYI: My son is 3 months (but was premature by 1 month) and takes both the breast and the bottle. I am trying to increase my milk supply to wean off the bottle.

Default Re: Pacifier Question

pacifiers are up to mom.. I had one baby that needed one and my dd would not take one much to the horror of every good meaning person who thought that she needed one.
    Let your baby deside.

When trying to increase supply it is usually helpful to allow baby to nurse whenever possible. That said, if you find you must use it occasionally, such as in the car when you just can't nurse, it shouldn't hurt. As long as your first instinct is to offer your breast, the pacifier would most likely not be an issue. It would become an issue if you were using it so much you were missing cues to nurse.

HTH!

And does suckling on the breast still stimulate them to produce milk? My doc says no but my LC says yes.

Thanks ladies!
    Renée

Ok, so I guess I am a little confused. When you say suckling, do you mean "non-nutritive sucking"? As opposed to "sucking" meaning "nutritive"?

I guess so. I mean, he's not sucking as intensely, there are no swallows during what I call "suckling". Kind of just lays there and usually falls asleep while doing it (and continues in his sleep).

As far as the pacifier goes - I gave one to my LO around 8 weeks because she goes to a home day care. DD used it, but never really cared for it that much. Now dd has found her thumb and has NO interest in a pacifier. If I'm around, I let her suckle as much as possible from the breast (which she prefers over the thumb most of the time). So - I really just think it depends on your choice. From my experiences, introducing a pacifier did not change my supply.