Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Boob Man Nipple Biter

Default Boob Man Nipple Biter

Hello,
    My little guy is 7 months and loves breastfeeding. He's been doing a little less of it lately I believe that it is because he's teething. I'm worried he may not be eating enough. I try to feed him rice cereal but he's not to big of a fan. He loves to use his new tooth to bite my nipple when he feeds. It hurts and he's left marks on my arm from biting. It's frustrating but we're not quite ready for solids. I guess I'll jutst have to hang in there.

Default Re: Boob Man Nipple Biter

Yeah the 'hang in there' attitude is a good one. My LO has 6 teeth (9 months) and although I've gotten pretty good at recognizing when he's going to bite, it still happens sometimes. He's such a good little nurser, I'd hate to stop nursing just because his teeth are hurting him and he bites sometimes. BTW, your subject line is hilarious
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

Hi,
    I had the same problem with my DS so I started taking him off my brest emediatly with a firm no. It took a couple of days but eventualy he got the idea and stopped doing it. Unfotunatly, my arms and shoulders are full of bite marks but as long as my boobs are still intact...

also be aware that a child cannot bite and nurse at the same time. i noticed that mine would bite when they were done with a nursing session and i was trying to keep her nursing (like to go to sleep or quite or whatever).

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

I have been having the same problem with my son lately and he is only 4 months old, the biting can really hurt!

Smile Re: Boob Man Nipple Biter

My 13-month-old has been biting regularly for the last 2-3 months, pretty much beginning when his back teeth started coming in. He just finally stopped biting about a week ago. I tried saying 'no!' and ending the nursing session, but what I think ultimately worked was positive reinforcement. When he didn't bite, I'd kiss him all over and tell him thank you and how sweet it was to gently release me.
    Of course, he may have just overheard me telling Daddy I was considering weaning the next time I got an infected nipple. . .
    Hang in there!