Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: soy milk or cows milk

Default soy milk or cows milk

I was wondering if anyone has ever went from breastmilk to soy milk(at the appropriate age), instead of cow's milk. I've heard from different sources that cow's milk is overrated, and soy milk is less allergenic. I have some time to think about this since my baby is only seven months old. Also, if soy milk is used, should I try the refrigerated variety or the boxed?
    Thanks for any advice or experience!

Default Re: soy milk or cows milk

I've done research on this and soy (milk or otherwise) is actually not good for you. I don't know if I can send links or not but you can check this out at http://www.mercola.com/2001/aug/25/soy_milk.htm

Goat's milk is superior over cow's milk. It's more nutrtious, and it's much easier to digest than cow's milk.

Tracy

The appropriate age for soy milk is actually two years old. Everything I have read says it should NOT be used before that age as it does not have enough fat for a child under two. How long are you planning to bf?

I personally don't drink cow's milk or soy milk or rice milk (hate the taste of cow's milk, always have). No reason for mamals to drink milk after they're weaned (so long as they weren't weaned prematurely). I eat cheese and yogurt and do use cow's milk on cereal and in cooking, etc. I have tried goats milk, but to me it actually tastes worse than cow's milk.

If there is a cow's milk alergy, chances are there will also be alergies to both soy and goats milk.

There are entire cultures of people in the world who don't drink any kind of milk after they are weaned. Milk is a conveinent source of fat, protein, and calcuim, but we can get all of these from other sources even without yogurt or cheese.

HTH

I'm don't have any solid breastfeeding plans. My seven month old is thriving on only being breastfed, so I don't plan on changing anything anytime soon. A friend of mine, who happened to study immunologyin college, gave her toddlers soy milk(not soy formula) instead of cows milk. I was just wondering if anyone else has done the same. My pediatrician had never had anyone do this, and so I don't think she is comfortable reccomending it. But thanks again for the replies. I'll be sure to look into these suggestions!

Human milk is superior to cow, goat, OR soy milk for humans, so continue to BF as long as possible