Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's the best way to get baby to open mouth wide?

Default What's the best way to get baby to open mouth wide?

I've heard this can make or break a good latch. If the baby doesn't open wide enough, what's the best way to do it. I've heard pushing his chin gently can help?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: What's the best way to get baby to open mouth wide?

What worked for me was, at the changing table, sticking my tongue out at her (I know, it sounds weird). When she started doing it back, which was pretty early (like at 2 weeks or so), I started opening my mouth and saying "open." She started copying that, at the changing table. Then, while nursing, if she's not opening wide enough, I say "open" and she opens her mouth.

Sounds inconceivable, but it really worked!

I have found that if iI position the nipple by her upper lip, she tends to open much wider. Sometimes I have the kind of "wiggle" the nipple and she opens like a hungry lil fish.

Quote Originally Posted by zoewmu View Post
    What worked for me was, at the changing table, sticking my tongue out at her (I know, it sounds weird). When she started doing it back, which was pretty early (like at 2 weeks or so), I started opening my mouth and saying "open." She started copying that, at the changing table. Then, while nursing, if she's not opening wide enough, I say "open" and she opens her mouth.

Sounds inconceivable, but it really worked!
    Quite Impressive! You have one smart little one

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    I have found that if iI position the nipple by her upper lip, she tends to open much wider. Sometimes I have the kind of "wiggle" the nipple and she opens like a hungry lil fish.
    Good tip! Thanks

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

No problem! I am so excited to see pictures of your LO when the babe comes out of there!

i tickle her chin and rub just under her bottom lip. thats what seems to work for us!
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Hi there!

After you have your baby, be sure to get someone to help you latch the baby on. Hopefully there will be an IBCLC or lactation nurse available. You may also be able to talk your local LLL Leader into coming and helping out.

It's hard to describe exactly HOW to latch a baby on. We can try, but it's just so much easier to SHOW than to tell, .

Here's a great site with some videos of mothers latching their babies:
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

A common misconception among new mothers is that baby will open his mouth wide like a baby bird and wait patiently for mommy to insert the breast! Unfortunately, this isn't the case. There's a sort of "choreography" involved in teasing baby's mouth open and getting the breast in at the same time. Some babies take to it right away, others need a bit to get the hang of it. Just be patient with yourself and your new "dance partner"

You'll do fine Mama! You've been preparing yourself very well!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    Hi there!

After you have your baby, be sure to get someone to help you latch the baby on. Hopefully there will be an IBCLC or lactation nurse available. You may also be able to talk your local LLL Leader into coming and helping out.

It's hard to describe exactly HOW to latch a baby on. We can try, but it's just so much easier to SHOW than to tell, .

Here's a great site with some videos of mothers latching their babies:
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

A common misconception among new mothers is that baby will open his mouth wide like a baby bird and wait patiently for mommy to insert the breast! Unfortunately, this isn't the case. There's a sort of "choreography" involved in teasing baby's mouth open and getting the breast in at the same time. Some babies take to it right away, others need a bit to get the hang of it. Just be patient with yourself and your new "dance partner"

You'll do fine Mama! You've been preparing yourself very well!
    Jen
    Thanks, Jen I appreicate your vote of confidence

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I had the same problem with DD when she was little and my wonderful LLL leader showed me this trick:

position your nipple so that it is touching the baby's nose (the technical name is escaping me, but the part that seperates the nostrils). This will land the bottom lip exactly where it needs to be and baby has to open up wide enough to get that top lip over the nipple. I still have to do this with my 16 months old DD to get to open wide enough. HTH
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)