Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! I am sick!

Default Help! I am sick!

UGGGG! First I got a bladder infection last week, then the baby got sick with a high fever and now stuffy nose and horrible cough, and now I am SO conjested. I am MISERABLE! He is 9 months old and I don't know what I can safely take without affecting my milk supply. Right now I am just taking motrin when absolutely miserable, drinking OJ, and I am making chicken soup right now. Is there anything that is safe other than saline drops and Vicks?

Thanks for any help!
    Konnie

Default Re: Help! I am sick!

Yes, there are medications that are ok to take while BFing. You can call your child's pediatrician to ask about what you might take. You can also post here with a specific med and someone can look it up for you to see if it is considered compatible with BF. Sometimes women do report a drop in milk supply when taking some decongestants/antihistamines so that is something to consider. Many of them are still considered safe, however. Just check on specifics with the doc. Hope you feel better soon!

Default Re: Help! I am sick!

Oh, I forgot about this link: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

It's a non-LLL site but has very good information.