Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ummm? Weaned?

Default Ummm? Weaned?

OK, so Leila self weaned around her 4th birthday ~ she's almost 5.... A minute ago she asked to nurse This isn't the 1st time, but she's only done this recently Has anyone else dealt with this?
    ~ Tiffany

Child Passenger Safety Technician
    Home/unschooling mama to my Kindergartner!
    Leila Maribelle self-weaned at 4 years old....

Default Re: Ummm? Weaned?

I read a post like this a few months ago. I can't remember what it said but I'll try to find it for you.

Sorry I can't find it.

Do you have a baby or just your dd?
    Last edited by Mia'sMom; December 18th, 2006 at 04:56 PM.

My mom had five kids. We all breast fed until we were close to 6. My nephew stopped when he was 2 and used to ask my sister in law to nurse once in awhile she'd usually just offer him a glass of milk and he'd take it. Don't know if that will help...

Thanks for looking anyway

She's my only ~ my guess is it's in response to some stress lately ... Daddy lives in another state while we're staying with my parents like we did when she was a baby

She just asked again: maybe I should changed my signature?
    ~ Tiffany

My son nursed until just past his 4th birthday, almost a year ago. Since weaning, he has occasionally asked to nurse or told me that he wants to nurse. In the early weeks after weaning, I let him try a couple times, but it was uncomfortable for me and clearly didn't meet the need he was looking to meet (usually boredom) ... so I stopped permitting it. My usual response after that was a gentle reminder "We don't num-num any more" with a smile and maybe a tickle, which he usually accepted without trouble.

There was one time months after weaning when I did let him try nursing. He had been throwing leaves with some neighbor friends and got a piece of leaf stuck in his eye. I had to take him into the shower and flush his eye with water for about ten very painful minutes to get it out. He was really upset and suffering but understood that we had to get the leaf out of his eye and was being very brave about it. And my breasts were right there, since we were in the shower ... and he tearfully asked to nurse, and I let him try -- anything that might help him get through it, KWIM?

Anyway ... so many months after weaning ... he couldn't really latch on. He tried to nurse, but couldn't exactly figure out how to do it. It was actually quite sad, and of course he was already crying and in pain ... I foolishly tried to cheer him up with some gentle teasing, and said, "Aww, you're such a big boy, you've forgotten how to nurse, haven't you?"

Those words backfired BIGTIME for me. He didn't react too strongly to them at the time (we had bigger problems, with leaf in his eye), but for about a week after, he acted like he had something to prove to me and repeatedly asked to nurse ... and when I gently but firmly refused as before, he got really angry about it, insisting that he DID remember how to num-num.

Anyhoo... I don't know what my point is with sharing this story ... except to say that yes, I have BTDT with this issue. I think even a mother who is a firm believer in child-led weaning should not feel obligated to let her weaned child nurse just because s/he asks for it. I also don't think there's anything wrong about starting up nursing again. It just was my experience that it didn't work out well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Rebecca View Post
    I think even a mother who is a firm believer in child-led weaning should not feel obligated to let her weaned child nurse just because s/he asks for it. I also don't think there's anything wrong about starting up nursing again.
    Thanks, Rebecca, that makes sense I did let her nurse today & I think that encouraged her to ask more I didn't mind until it obviously became a game to her ~ today has been extremely stressful for me & I'm sure she sensed that, I'm sure it affected her ... it was a bit of a calming comfort thing for both of us temporarily but I think some ice cream might be a better alternative at this stage of the game When we do the bed routine here soon we'll have a little discussion
    Last edited by Papooses; December 18th, 2006 at 10:45 PM.
    ~ Tiffany

I recall that my mother finally weaned me when I unbuttoned her blouse in front of company!
    < hippie love child!