Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Switching to breast from bottle

Default Switching to breast from bottle

Hi - My baby (now 5 weeks old) was born 4 weeks early and just spent several weeks in the intensive care unit at the hospital. She was bottle fed (with expressed breast milk) during that time. I am having trouble switching to breast - I met with a lactation consultant who suggested using a nipple shield, which I have been doing. My daughter gets very fussy though and really wants that fast easy flow of milk she is used to from the bottle (I think that is what's happening). Does anyone have any tips? I want this to be a positive experience for us both.

Default Re: Switching to breast from bottle

Congrats on your LO - I'm glad she is doing better. My LO was on a bottle before the breast and using a "Breast flow" bottle by The Firt Years helped us out.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=family
    The bottle is slow flow and shaped like a breast so it may help your LO.
    HTH Best of luck. I'm sure other moms will chim in with more help!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I have heard other women talk about placing LO to the breast when Lo is tired and less inclined to squabble over the speed of the flow. hth

I was told that pumping to let-down right before trying to feed helps, too, since the milk will be flowing already. Just using the shields helped us out immensely... that and just being patient. He got the hang of it. If you haven't been told to already, switch to slow flow nipples on whatever bottles you do use. Preemie nipples are designed to allow faster flow because their muscles aren't developed and they need to conserve energy just to thrive. (My LO was born 5 weeks early.)

I used a nipple shield because my nipples were in so much pain when I started. One day I used it for a full day and my little guy was super fussy because the shield was preventing him from getting enough milk.

What kind of nipple shield are you using? I had a silicone one that you can actually buy at Target, made by Medela, and it has 4 very large holes so it shouldn't interfere too much with the flow. At least that's what my lactation consultant who got me using it in the first place said.

Also, you didn't mention this, but I starting using the shield because of engorgement and then got very worried that my baby would always be dependent on it. He was for a couple of weeks but then it was easy to wean him off. So use the shield as long as it works for you but know that if you eventually want to nurse without it- it is possible! I was mostly concerned because I found nursing in public more challenging with the shield. Anyways... there's some solid unsolicited advice for you!