Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't tell what ds is telling me!

Default Can't tell what ds is telling me!

Lately when I lay down with my boy in the evenings and the mornings, he thrashes around alot. He'll be latched on, but he pulls and twists, pops off, the grunts and roots for it immediatly and sucks hard for a minute or so. He pants and grunts, and "bicycles" he little legs. Then it repeats. He almost seems like it might be gas, or the breast is too slow/empty. He's 7 weeks now, does anyone know what he is doing?
    The only way to get him to stop it to put him up on my shoulder, but even that doesn't work for long.

Default Re: Can't tell what ds is telling me!

It takes a while for their brand new little digestive systems to get used to functioning as they are supposed to. I bet it's a bit of gastrointestinal discomfort, but don't worry, they grow out of it quickly. My DD was constantly grunting for the first two months of life, it worried me, but eventually stopped.

how do you help them if its gas?

There are a variety of things you can do... You can lay them on their tummy over your lap, the knee below the head slightly more elevated, and rub the back.

For burps, you can hold him vertically against you with his head over your shoulder and pat the back or gently bounce, or you can sit him up straight and let his head rest in your hand while patting his back OR very gently squeezing his sides up and down the back with the other hand. (The squeezing usually worked good for me!)

For abdominal gas, try holding his feet or ankles and gently bringing his knees towards his chest, or bicycling the legs for him. This can help move the gasses down-and-out. For this kind of gas you could also try gentle tummy rubs.

If none of this works, you can always give him some Mylicon gas drops. They work like a charm (if it IS gas), are safe to use on even the youngest of babies, and can be used several times a day. (Read instructions on the medicine bottle before dosing)

My DD was gassy, fussy, squirmy and grunty for the first 2 months at least. It might take a while to get better but I'm sure it will. HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    how do you help them if its gas?
    i do infant massage to help with the gas... esepecially tummy rubs and circling her legs into her tummy! ( always go clockwise tho, since thats the way the digestive track goes.)

Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Hi,
    When my daughter does that, it is a sign that she's had enough. She wants to suck but gets mad when milk comes out. Try to switch positions first. I have to do the football hold on my right side. My LO thinks when she is nursing on that side, I am trying to put her to sleep. If you want, you can try a pacifier when your LO gets like that. They are discouraged but I find it helped me a great deal.

Is there some trick with the passi I don't know? BB just spits it out with this look of violation and admonishment (really) If I persist he'll gag it out. Tried every passi I could find; NUK, Advent, Soothies- nothing works.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Lately when I lay down with my boy in the evenings and the mornings, he thrashes around alot. He'll be latched on, but he pulls and twists, pops off, the grunts and roots for it immediatly and sucks hard for a minute or so. He pants and grunts, and "bicycles" he little legs. Then it repeats. He almost seems like it might be gas, or the breast is too slow/empty. He's 7 weeks now, does anyone know what he is doing?
    The only way to get him to stop it to put him up on my shoulder, but even that doesn't work for long.

Ohh those are prime times for fussiness with my son, too. He fusses at the breast and kicks me in the tummy when we nurse while lying down. He pops on and off, rooting desperately and then pushing away with his little fists and screaming. It's a cycle. They wear themselves out this way. I think that from my experiences, it means the milk isn't coming fast enough for him along with the combination of being very TIRED and a little gassy.