Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waking up at night

Default Re: Waking up at night

Gabriel's Mom, looks like our "Gabe's" are very similar. My guy is also 6.5 months and doing the same thing. He used to sleep through the night - he goes down quite nicely at 8pm, but at 1am he wakes up and only seems to quiet down once he's in bed with me.

At least we know we're not alone....

If he's waking up just to eat he's probably legitimately hungry, then, and I wouldn't worry about his stomach. It could be a growth spurt, or he might be teething. You can try feeding him more often during the day and seeing how that helps. My first child didn't sleep through the night until she was 7 months old and that was because at about 7 months she was waking us up just to spend time with us. She had been on solids for a month at that point. We went the cry-it-out route for three days and then she slept through the night. I know it sounds cruel, but it worked for her, and we've never had a relapse. My second one is now 7.5 months old, still not eating solids (at all - I'll be posting later for suggestions), and I wouldn't try the cry thing with her yet since she's still eating (bf) at night. She's showing more interest in sleeping through the night than her sister did, though, so I don't think we'll have to resort to that.

Alternately you might try to adjust his daytime sleep pattern. Believe it or not, some kids sleep better at night if they get more sleep during the day. How many naps is he getting?

I always find it interesting that the CIO thing seems to work so well. I have never used it but my 8 month old son is still waking every couple of hours (sometimes every hour) and I am getting more and more exhausted. It was fine with my first. Not so bad with my second. But I find with my third, I could really use some sleep! I manage to function okay but I have very little energy to do as much as I used to with my kids. I really feel that my kids - all of them- would be so much better off with a rested mommy. And can it be good for an 8 month old who's longest stretch of sleep is two hours? Don't they need long stretches of sleep to grow and develop properly?

My logic with using the CIO method when I did (and believe me, it took a lot of self-justification on my and my husband's parts) was that a) I felt as though I was fulfilling all of her emotional needs at the time. She was well-fed, well-loved and we followed the 'it's impossible to spoil a child under the age of 1' thinking by holding her whenever she wanted to be held (I use and continue to use with my second child, the Ergo baby carrier). B) She wasn't hungry when she was waking up, and c) she was too young to hold onto the memory of mommy ignoring her all night. Honestly, now, she sleeps through the night without any problems at all and I don't think I'm going to have a huge therapy bill when she's older as a result of it (I'm sure there are other things I've done to my children that will be the cause of that). And finally, we really needed the sleep. I wouldn't change that for the world. There were a few nights afterwards when she was teething or sick where she was waking up, but that was a lot easier to deal with when we were more rested.

Yes, it's incredibly hard to listen to your baby cry through the night, but I think it's harder to listen to a 2 year old calling for you at night. Sometimes the earlier you address a problem, the better off you are in the long run.

I have to wonder how other cultures/ancestors handled the issue.

WOW. I am so glad to hear of others succeeding with the CIO method. I somehow think there could be such a stigma surrounding CIO that even if mothers have used this method, they would find it hard to admit to it. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Actually, for the last couple of days, baby seemed none the worse for having CIO a few nights. Now I just snuggle and hold and hug him during the day as much as he wants, and at night when he wakes, I hold and snuggle him for a bit, then put him down to sleep. Earlier, I tried to stay by his bed, talking to him and patting him. But when he knows I'm there, he seems to cry more.
    If he thinks I am not there, he doesn't cry for as long. It usually decreases to a moaning complaint (tugs at my heartstrings still) and then stops after about 20 mins. He still hasn't stopped waking up in the night, but we've eliminated one night nursing session.

Which brings me to another question. Does a 7 month old baby weighing about 7 kgs need to feed every 3 hours at night? Is he waking up to feed because he needs it or is it just a habit? I've read conflicting things on this. Now baby goes to sleep at 8pm, wakes at 11pm, 2am (sometimes 3am as well), 4am and 7am. Any advice?
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Quote Originally Posted by dorothy View Post
    Which brings me to another question. Does a 7 month old baby weighing about 7 kgs need to feed every 3 hours at night? Is he waking up to feed because he needs it or is it just a habit? I've read conflicting things on this. Now baby goes to sleep at 8pm, wakes at 11pm, 2am (sometimes 3am as well), 4am and 7am. Any advice?
    I've read quite a bit of conflicting advice on that too, and I think ultimately you have the be the guage for each individual child. My 2 year old was obviously just looking for company when she was that age - she would snack a little and then try to play, but my 7.5 month old is still eating and then falling right back asleep. On the other side of that, I think that babies are extremely adaptable, and if you were to try to get a whole night (think 6-7 consecutive hours), your child would start to compensate with larger meals during the day. You just have to be emotionally ready to handle the transitional time. I'm about ready to try this, but I want to send #1 off to her grandparents so that #2 doesn't wake her up.