Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In desperate need of help

Default In desperate need of help

My baby is 8 1/2 weeks and I think is prefering the bottle. Nursed fine for the first 2 weeks, then started arching back and cried after 5 min. Is on medicine for reflux and still doing it.She only stays on the breast for 5 min then cries and won't go any more. She only nurses longer than 5 min. at night or when she is asleep. When she is awake and hungry, refuses altogether. Takes bottle fine. My mistake is that I introduced the bottle too early-around age 2 weeks because my husband really wanted to help (firsttime mom)-and now I can't seem to correct problem. Have been in to see lactation. She had not gained weight for a week so we now have to supplement with formula added to breastmilk. I'm out of ideas. I'm still pumping and offering breast at each feed. I still have to do bottles to get her weight up-using Playtex slow nurser-thought of changing bottle nipple again. Recently changed pacifier from Nuk to Mams. Any suggestions? I've been pumping/BF/bottle for several weeks and I'm exhausted and frustrated. My supply is down and thought maybe she'd nurse better if I'm really full??? Please help.
    thanks in advance for any help

Default Re: In desperate need of help

Hi Amy!
    Welcome! Try a nurse in! That's where you take the baby to bed for a 24hours period and just keep her on your body skin to skin and feed her on demand. Something about the skin to skin contact can really help them go into "instinct"mode. It takes patience and is probably best attempted on a weekend so that DH can attend to YOUR needs (Food and Water ect.) But this going to bed with the baby and just really letting the two of you work it out in the way you would if no one else was around can be very effective. Please note...if your child is experiencing nipple preference there very well may be some fussiness. THe baby has already learned that by fussing she doesn't have to "work" to eat. So while I'm not suggesting starving her or letting her get hysterical, please try to not give into a bottle at the 1st signs and sounds of frustration. The baby can smell your milk. And your letdown and production can both be stimulated by the sounds of your child crying. It is very possible that if she feels like you AREN'T going to give her a bottle she will be more willing to do the work involved in getting it from your breasts! Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks so much for the advice. I tried not giving in for 2 different days-she only nursed 5 mins 3 times from 9am to 5 pm. We went for a lactation appt and she had not gained weight for week and they suggested taking her for GI eval who then told me I had to add 1 tsp of formula for every feed and she is going on Thurs for a Barium GI procedure. I feel certain her crying and pulling back is bottle preference, but we have to make certain there is nothing going on. I will try what you have suggested. I don't want to give in either and tried not to before, but what concerns me is she will go without eating. Since she has not gained, I fear things could get worse.
    Thanks for the help-

Bump.

Hope you work through this!