Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice...please help

Unhappy Need advice...please help

Hi there. My son is just 5 wks old. I am breastfeeding him, with an occassional bottle of expressed breast milk. I am having some issues with nursing though. For the past two days we've been having a hard time. He latches on, sucks about 2 or 3 times, then pulls off and wails. This is how it goes the entire time. He also spits up a lot of it and has been having a lot of wet burps. I have been burping him and trying to feed him every 3-4 hours. He's been sleeping a lot the pas two days. I don't know what to do, I'm starting to dread nursing him because he gets so upset. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Need advice...please help

Hi there! I'm sorry you are having some difficulties but let's see what we can do to help.

Babies pull off of the breast for a variety of reasons and a few things immediately come to mind when I read your post. First, baby gets bottles. Babies have to suck differently on a bottle than they do a breast and they have to work pretty hard to get milk out of your breast. Many babies will develop a preference for the bottle because it provides immediate gratification and it's less work for them. When he takes one suck on a bottle, he's getting a lot of milk. When he takes one suck on your breast, he doesn't get much at all until your milk let's down. So, it could be that he's developed a preference for the bottle for these reasons. This isn't a huge issue though -- usually just removing the bottles of EBM and offering your breast before baby starts showing hunger cues is good enough to get them back to where they need to be

3 to 4 hours is a bit of a long time for a 5 week old breastfed baby to go between feedings. It's possible that by the time either of you realize that he's hungry, he's famished and in no mood to have to work for his meal. Perhaps offering your breast more often -- every 2 hours or so -- will help.

Also, you may have an over-active letdown. That can be frustrating for some babies. You might try pumping or hand expressing until your milk let's down and then putting baby to breast to see if that helps. The forcefulness of the milk spraying out can cause him to take in large amounts of air and can cause him to spit up.

Thrush can also cause a baby to pull off the breast. Have you or baby had antibiotics? If so, thrush may be the culprit in the pulling off.

I'm sure I'm leaving out a few obvious reasons so hopefully someone else will come along with their suggestions.

HTH!

My dd did the same thing. I learned that I had an overactive let down. Have you tried laying down to nurse? That's what got us through the tough time. Hang in there!

I had the same problem... in the hospital he was given formula (for low glucose) and would get very upset with me because I wasn't able to produce as much as he was getting from the bottle.
    The nurse told me to calm him down by letting him suck on my baby finger... soft part up toward the palet. It helped to soothe him enough to take the breast. It still works almost four months later!
    Hope that helps.

My dd also did the same thing. One reason was because of an overactive let down. Which caused the milk to be strongfully forced out into babys mouth, which was impossible for her to keep up with. This also contributed to causing gas. I started giving little tummys gas drops to her either before or after each feeding. Then after about 10 minutes or so i would take her off and burp her. Then place her back on. Hope this helps.

I don't think its thrush. I've looked inside his mouth and no white patches. I've tried to shorten the times between feedings and I that is helping a little. Also, I'm pumping a bit before he gets on. I've also started letting him suck on my knuckle when he starts really getting upset, then I switch back to the breast. This seems to be working too. He still gets upset sometimes but I think I'm finding ways to combat it. Thanks all1