Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working moms and your fav pump?

Default Working moms and your fav pump?

I'm turn about whether to get a Medela or an Ameda Purely Yours one. Please share why you decided on either and why you love it. Thanks!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Working moms and your fav pump?

I have used both and prefer the Ameda PY. It is easier to clean. I have used three Medela pumps (including one rented from the hospital), and they all had milk get backed up into the tubing.

I saw no difference in terms of milk output.

I got a Medela PIS Advanced at the recommendation of several friends. I find it easy to use & clean (but its the only pump I've ever used). I haven't had any problems with getting milk into the tubing. To clean, I put all the pump parts in a bowl of warm sudsy water and then rinse very well with hot water which takes care of getting all the small parts cleaned.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I have the Medela PIS Advanced backpack and have no complaints. I got it because the lactation store at the hospital recommended it and several friends had that one as well. I'm not sure how some people have had problems with this pump... seems like milk can't really get backed into the tubing unless one is not paying attention?? Maybe it's different with different people? One thing I have noticed is the tubing gets condensation but all you have to do is leave the pump running while you are cleaning up or pitting stuff away and then it is fine. Cleaning is not too big of a deal either so I am not sure what's different about the Ameda vs. Medela cleaning if one is really easier or not. Oh - the only reason I got the backpack was because they were out of the over the shoulder type but I am so glad I got the backpack now... it is very convenient and allows one to carry a morning veverage and any other stuff quite easily. HTH

Thanks for your feedback!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I used a Medela PIS that a friend gave me (she got it from her sister in law and neither one of them used it more than twice I think). All I needed was new tubing. It worked fine (and it DID get used) although near the end of my 8 months of pumping it did start to get milk backing up in the tubing more. I heard that the motors go after a while so it's probably on it's way out.

I digress...

I also used the Avent manual pump when I was at home or when traveling and I didn't have access to electricity. It did work well for relieving pressure but took much longer to get the same amount as the Medela electric (as I'd expect). It has been a good "backup" pump.

I adore my Medela Pump InStyle advanced! it looks like a nice shoulder bag and I can carry it to work without any fear of embarassing anyone... I work in a VERY male dominated field and well, men are a bit squeemish. It's super easy to clean, I put all the larger components in the dishwasher and a bowl of soapy water for the small peices and use the Medela Micro Steam bags every morning with that days supply of pumping components. When my milk supply started to dwindle it really was the main component of bringing my milk back up to par (with my lactation consultants guidance). It DEFINATELY has my vote, as well as my little one Brian!

Tiffany

I have the Ameda PY...my mom bought it for me but I told her what to buy. I chose the PY because it was much cheaper than the PIS and it can be reused by someone else. I thought I might be able to sell it or loan it out, but I doubt I will do that now. If I had to buy another pump, I would buy it again. It is compact, has a cute backpack with a cooler in it for storing milk, and lightweight. I have no reason to recommend anything else. I ahve been pumping 3-4 times a day for almost a year without a single problem with it!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I use the Medela PIS, it is quick and effective. It really helped me establish my milk supply during the disasterous first 2 weeks of nursing!! I work 1 day/week and the PIS has been my companion. The microsteam bags make cleaning the components quick, easy and my coworkers don't have to look at them! I really like it. I have also used the medela and avent manual pumps, they work fine if you have more time. Good luck

I am using the avent isis duo and really having no problems. Its very easy to clean. THis is the only pump I have used and I'm using 3-4 times/day for almost 6 months.