Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Red dot on center of nipple, blood comes out

Default Red dot on center of nipple, blood comes out

So DS isn't a year, but he is 9 months so I figured I'd post this question on a board with other moms who've been nursing longer, like me. I don't know what this red dot is on my left nipple... A little over a month ago I had mastitis and the same red dot was there, and the breast ached then. Now, that darned red dot is back and the aching is back too (just started a couple of days ago). We've never had latch issues, so I don't think it's that. Plus the red dot is right in the center of the nipple. Last night when I pumped after DS went to bed the first few drops of milk were bloody.

Let's see... what else.... DS is 9 months, has solids 3x per day after nursing or EBM, goes to daycare, and I pump 2x/day during the weekdays. He sleeps through the night, usually. Also he nurses from one side per feeding session so these breasts hold a lot of milk

Any ideas on what's going on with the dot/blood?
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

Default Re: Red dot on center of nipple, blood comes out

Could it be that your mastitis has returned? Are you feeling any flu-like symptoms? Fever? Sometimes the antibiotic prescribed doesn't quite kill all the bacteria and so the infection recurs and requires a different or longer course of antibiotic. I've never had a red dot/bleeding with mastitis, but since it happened before maybe that's it again?

I have had recurrent mastitis (with DS-3 times) and I had bleeding from it, but I think the bleeding was actually from damaged nipples. (?)
    Have you talked to your doctor? BTW if you do start another course of antibiotics it is a good idea to take acidophilus supplements to prevent thrush. Also, IME the second and third times I had mastitis were much milder than the first time! I hope that isn't it, but maybe that will help you feel better!
    Also, I first had mastitis when my DS was 10 days old and weaned him at 6 months, so I'm not sure about any of this with an older baby.
    Good luck and hope you're feeling better soon.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Ouch... I never had mastitis, but did have a bloody red dot w/some blood coming out a few times with DD, but it was typically after she bit me or chewed on me a bit . Maybe it's worth talking to your doctor about it?

GL to you, I hope it resolves itself

Dorota

Thanks for the ideas and posts. The pain is better and I don't think the spot is bleeding anymore, but the "dot" is still there, kind of like a scab. Perhaps it is from being bitten by DS. At 9 months he's got 6 teeth and I think two more are about to come in. He's usually very good about not biting but once in a while it does happen. Perhaps I'll just treat it as a scab and keep an eye on it.

I wonder what to put on a scab from biting? Any ideas?
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!